Baby Bantam with my Regulars...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Shogun99, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Shogun99

Shogun99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Las Cruces, NM
    All,

Here's the deal...I have one Baby Japanese Bantam chick with 10 other baby chickens. He is the smallest of the bunch and the others are a good 50% larger than he is. He isn't really getting trampled too badly, but he gets underneath the larger ones as if they're the mommy chickens. Its kind of cute aside from the fact that I don't want him to get beat up by the other chicks when they start doing their dominance strutting in a month or so.

Any advice on what I should do? Thanks in advance.

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I wouldn't worry unless there is a problem later on. Being raised together, they should be all right, I would think. Just watch them to make sure they aren't picking on it.

3. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Should be ok...especially right now. Just keep a lookout for when they get a bit older. Mine have done fine.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other posts. They should be ok, but I would watch them. [​IMG]

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Seems to go much better when they are raised together. My Serama roo is MUCH smaller than the hens and they are all fine with him. In fact, he's the BOSS! LOL

6. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    With chickens it's much more about attitude than size. My wee bantam does fine with the 3 standards, to the extent that she's learning to keep from having the big girls from stealing her food.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by