Baby born chicks

jubahn

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 6, 2015
I have a problem, where I live Cargill and Aliansa, the only sellers for chicken feed, do not sell minimum of 10 x 100 lb amount of starter feed for layers, I have access to broiler starter though, what can I feed my born chicks, any ideas? Thanks.

jubahn

Broiler starter is fine. It's just a confusing term they use... broiler, starter, raiser, grower, finisher, layer... all just words. The MAIN important differences is protein level and calcium level.

Any feed with about 20%- 22% protein and 1% ish calcium will work. Not less than 18% (though that's a little low in my opinion). And not more than 25%. Also NOT more than 2% calcium. Staying in these guidelines will give you the best overall results... according to my research AND personal experience. :thumbsup

do not sell minimum of 10 x 100 lb amount of starter feed for layers

So you need 1000 pounds of starter feed and they won't sell that much? Or did you mean that they only sell a minimum of 1000 pounds and you don't need that much? If it's the latter, could you maybe split an order with someone or buy a few bags off of someone else?

I think the broiler feed will be fine as long as it meets the same nutritional requirements. Some broiler feeds have too much protein, if I recall correctly. If you give an idea of where you live we might be able to help you find another place as well.

Broiler starter is fine. It's just a confusing term they use... broiler, starter, raiser, grower, finisher, layer... all just words. The MAIN important differences is protein level and calcium level.

Any feed with about 20%- 22% protein and 1% ish calcium will work. Not less than 18% (though that's a little low in my opinion). And not more than 25%. Also NOT more than 2% calcium. Staying in these guidelines will give you the best overall results... according to my research AND personal experience. :thumbsup
Thanks, will check the % on the feeds and make sure I pick the correct one, thanks!

jubahn

So you need 1000 pounds of starter feed and they won't sell that much? Or did you mean that they only sell a minimum of 1000 pounds and you don't need that much? If it's the latter, could you maybe split an order with someone or buy a few bags off of someone else?

I think the broiler feed will be fine as long as it meets the same nutritional requirements. Some broiler feeds have too much protein, if I recall correctly. If you give an idea of where you live we might be able to help you find another place as well.

They only sell a minimum of 1000 lb, I live in Honduras and nobody is growing chicks in that amount of feed :-(

I live in Honduras, Central America :)

jubahn

Just a quick note... I have chicks, layers, broody's, molting, and roosters.

I feed "flock raiser"... which has 20% protein and 1% calcium. This meets the needs of my entire flock as long as I supply oyster shell or another calcium source on the side for the active layers.

If you have light bodied layers like leghorn, once mature (laying) they would be fine if you choose layer feed (*usually 16% protein and 4% calcium). If you have heavier bodied or so called dual purpose breeds, 18% protein minimum will serve you best.

Never go beyond 30% protein as that IS too much for chickens and *can* (doesn't mean will) cause gout and kidney failure if fed LONG term. The same is true for birds not in lay should not get more than 3% calcium. Both (can) cause different types of gout/kidney failure. Plus fat hens lay less and suffer more from internal issues.

That's a HUGE minimum! :eek:

It's fun to meet people from all over the world and learn about their challenges and environments. :)

Just a quick note... I have chicks, layers, broody's, molting, and roosters.

I feed "flock raiser"... which has 20% protein and 1% calcium. This meets the needs of my entire flock as long as I supply oyster shell or another calcium source on the side for the active layers.

If you have light bodied layers like leghorn, once mature (laying) they would be fine if you choose layer feed (*usually 16% protein and 4% calcium). If you have heavier bodied or so called dual purpose breeds, 18% protein minimum will serve you best.

Never go beyond 30% protein as that IS too much for chickens and *can* (doesn't mean will) cause gout and kidney failure if fed LONG term. The same is true for birds not in lay should not get more than 3% calcium. Both (can) cause different types of gout/kidney failure. Plus fat hens lay less and suffer more from internal issues.

That's a HUGE minimum! :eek:

It's fun to meet people from all over the world and learn about their challenges and environments. :)

Thanks!! Will do, thanks for all the help, I am just worried about the chicks because for the older ones they sell 100 pound sack, thanks!

jubahn

What about the fat content in broiler feed? I just accidentally bought a bag of broiler feed thinking it was regular chick feed, its 6% fat content vs 3% in chick starter. 22.5% protein...

Chicks coming Tuesday I need to decide wether or not to make the trip to exchange it.

Gary

What about the fat content in broiler feed? I just accidentally bought a bag of broiler feed thinking it was regular chick feed, its 6% fat content vs 3% in chick starter. 22.5% protein...

Chicks coming Tuesday I need to decide wether or not to make the trip to exchange it.

Gary
That's a little more fat then I would like to see... And definitely wasn't something I noticed when I did by mine... but keep changing the formulas and the names. :barnie

Over all... so I think... (and I'm a MAJOR over thinker).. it may not be ideal but it would depend on how far it was to exchange it. I would say... well it's ONLY 3% more fat... but actually it's 100% more than what's originally there.

But then I would think... we tell people not to feed more than 10% of the total daily ration in treats... and this IS only 3% (extra) of the total daily ration we are talking about here.

All though people like to make fat out to be evil... truth is we REQUIRE fat for our brain and other things to function correctly. Or we die, plain and simple.

I know chickens will eat to meet their caloric content needs and then stop... so I'm not worried about it making fat hens who have trouble laying later in life. AS long as there aren't other key nutrients being missed. If the other nutrients seem about the same vitamin and mineral wise then I *might* not worry about it. I'd be curious if their is a difference in the fiber content... and I WISH they would print kcal on the bag.

When I reason it out... if driving more the 10 minutes (for non other reason)... I'd just use it. And even mix a little in with the layer feed for other girls you've got to give them a hint of a protein boost and use this bag up faster... working towards flock raiser. :pop

Its an hour round trip, everything is far from Idyllwild Ca Except the local feed store which is out of what I would rather have and will not have it by tuesday. Thanks for the response I will decide based on wether or not another need arrises that will require a trip down the hill.

Gary

Back
Top Bottom