Baby breeds

JJandRue

In the Brooder
Aug 26, 2015
Hopland, Ca
I have 4 silkie babies that are about 2 weeks old and I was curious about what breeds they are. The other one in the picture is a silver duck wing old English.
received_2017687268507415.jpeg

Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

I've been through Hopland a few times when we were moving north. One of the best strawberry stands ever! :drool I always try to visitors to stop there on their way up and bring us a couple of flats.

Anyways... Silkie is the breed. ;) I think what you're asking is what variety they are. Where did you get them? They kind of just look white. I haven't seen Silkies with eye stripes before! Can you take individual pics without the bars in front?

They sure are cuties! :love

I've never seen silkies with eye stripes either, wonder if they are mixed. As for gender, silkies are extremely difficult to sex before 4-5 mos. of age and sometimes not till they crow or lay eggs.

How old are yours?

The two with the eye stripes have five toes like most silkies, but the one buff has only one foot with an extra toe and the other had no extra toes
Lot's of people have Silkies that throw too few or too many toes. They would be considered pet quality... and should not be bred. I haven't hatched any like that YET. I don't know if their parent stock are throwing hidden faults or if they don't select for quality. :confused:

If from a breeder, I would definitely make contact and KINDLY let them know about the deformity. As someone who breeds and hatches, I would WANT to know. :hmm Even if it isn't a real problem for you! :cool:

I've never seen silkies with eye stripes either, wonder if they are mixed. As for gender, silkies are extremely difficult to sex before 4-5 mos. of age and sometimes not till they crow or lay eggs.

How old are yours?
They are about 2 weeks old and the silver duck wing is 4 weeks

Back
Top Bottom