Baby Button Quail Help Needed!!

Mine love chilling in the dust bowl lol but to be fair it is under the lamp, the sand gets warm so it's quite nice for them even though they have a sleepy hide with underfloor heating,too.

They used to kick the Aspen about a little it but they've figured out what it is actually for. TBH Aspen isn't my favourite substrate either and I even thought about switching to coco fibre t one point but it is better than pine in lots of ways and really easy to get a hold of. Gets bloody everywhere though. I'd love to give them hemp bedding but it's expensive. The world would be a better place if we started mass producing and using industrial hemp on a scale like we used to again.

Mine love chilling in the dust bowl lol but to be fair it is under the lamp, the sand gets warm so it's quite nice for them even though they have a sleepy hide with underfloor heating,too.

They used to kick the Aspen about a little it but they've figured out what it is actually for. TBH Aspen isn't my favourite substrate either and I even thought about switching to coco fibre t one point but it is better than pine in lots of ways and really easy to get a hold of. Gets bloody everywhere though. I'd love to give them hemp bedding but it's expensive. The world would be a better place if we started mass producing and using industrial hemp on a scale like we used to again.
I used hemp in my brooders early on because I had a huge like 60 pound package of it I had used for my hamsters. It’s definitely a great substrate, but hemp and aspen are just too pricey for someone with a lot of birds who hatches and broods a lot. I’d have to charge like $25 per chick to break even. I’ve been looking into buying acreage in the next few years, and I’ve considered looking into growing my own industrial hemp and processing it into bedding for the animals. I’m a big supporter of hemp over wood, since hemp can be grown year round in many areas, and can be grown to full in just a few months, compared to how long it takes to regrow pine, it’s a no brainer if you can get past the cost.

Last edited:
I used hemp in my brooders early on because I had a huge like 60 pound package of it I had used for my hamsters. It’s definitely a great substrate, but hemp and aspen are just too pricey for someone with a lot of birds who hatches and broods a lot. I’d have to charge like $25 per chick to break even. I’ve been looking into buying acreage in the next few years, and I’ve considered looking into growing my own industrial hemp and processing it into bedding for the animals. I’m a big supporter of hemp over wood, since hemp can be grown year round in many areas, and can be grown to full in just a few months, compared to how long it takes to regrow pine, it’s a no brained if you can get past the cost.
Hemp is indeed a no brainer! If everyone used hemp as standard it would be a whole lot cheaper for the reasons you mrntioned rather than still being considered ‘niche’ or ‘alternative hippy stuff’. It’s just common sense. We should be eating some of that vegetation too.

Back
Top Bottom