baby button quail

skyape38

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 8, 2009
Baltimore
My hens eggs she was sitting on just hatched all 8 of them. My question can the babies stay with the parents or do I have to put them in a brooder. I have a brooder ready if I need to move them. Both parents seem to be taking care of the young. I placed water and crushed food in the cage for the babies and they have a next box to hide in if they want to.
thanks
Kathy

I don't really have any advice but i do have a suggestion could we please see some pictures? Also isn't it rare that they go broody? If it is cool lucky! I am thinking of getting some though I am thinking Blue Faced because i like the color. What colors did you hatch out?

The roo was a blue face Im not sure what colors the babies are will take some pics in a few and post them. I was told that its rare for a hen to go broody, I ordered eggs 2 times off ebay and both times only 1 or 2 hatched, Ive had better luck with the hen hatching her own eggs lol.
Kathy

44218_dscn0765.jpg

father
44218_dscn0645.jpg

44218_dscn0783.jpg

44218_dscn0770.jpg

44218_dscn0762.jpg

Congrats I know it is rare for them to brood full term ... I would just watch and see how the male does if he is good with them I would leave them with mom

I had to take the roo out of the cage he was standing on the babies and trying to mate with the hen so I removed him to another cage until the chicks are bigger

Often the males will injure the chicks, though they do sometimes help care for them. Good that you moved him before something major happened. The super dark babies (almost black with no stripes) are bluefaces, it looks like there are some with stripes, those are probably the regular wild types. Your hen is a redbreast, but buttons are so mixed up genetically that it's hard to say what colors are hidden under the one that's expressed.
smile.png
Congrats on your new babies
smile.png

Buttons are the most likely to brood their own eggs out of all domestic quail
smile.png

Last edited:
Beautiful, beautiful babies, and the Dad is gorgeous!!! I just have the plain ole Coturnix type, but seeing that rooster of yours, now I gotta get some of them.
big_smile.png

love.gif
I love button quail, Congrats on the babes. I just saw teeny tiny button quail babies yesterday. I couldn't believe how small they were. So cute, love the Father's color. Might have to order some now from my chick guy. LOL.

Back
Top Bottom