Baby butts

If they have pasty butt you'll have to clean their bottoms regularly. Otherwise they could get a blockage and die. You should offer them water with vitamins and probiotics and that could help.

Someone else mentioned they could be too hot and that's a possibility as well. What age are the chicks and at what temperature do you have them?
80 is temp and I’ll keep up with the cleaning bottoms. Their not blocked, it’s running under them. I think they pooped and sat in it.

Out of 10 or 12 hatchery sets, I've only had one end up pasty. It was slower shipped and in cold weather with 3 lost.

I agree that cold or stress caused it. I got them warm, and put additive in water and thoroughly cleaned. It never returned.

I know some breeds need trimming but I thought once you cleaned them up it was good to go if conditions were corrected. This may be why questions of current temps etc are coming in. Glad you ware on top of it though, I remember how tedious it was to carefully soak/wipe and repeat it was.
Yes, I thought cleaning them gently with warm water was ok. Weather has changed everyday, keeping them clean and calm. My daughter named each 1. It’s for an FFA project

Is their poop runny at all? That's a good temp for 2 weeks old. As long as you keep cleaning them, they shouldn't get blocked. Sounds like you're doing everything right. ;)
Thanks so much..Use to be runny, but now after I added the vitamins it helped

Attachments

• 709AB7B7-01C1-4C67-A6C7-5C934112B213.jpeg
    709AB7B7-01C1-4C67-A6C7-5C934112B213.jpeg
    514.5 KB · Views: 3
Temperature sounds good. If it’s not caking I would see how it goes, watch it, but try not to intervene. I try to handle as little as possible as chicks, but by 2 weeks I would think you would be getting to where pasty butt is not an issue. I did have two genetic issues in my second to last hatch, where the chicks didn’t have tails and couldn’t poop properly. Caking and pasty butt like issues (really really nasty dingle berries :sick) continued in these birds until harvest and I culled one before market weight was reached due to failure to thrive. DP/later hybrids. They lacked tails and their butts were oddly shaped. “Rumpless” made it to processing and is on the left.
A5050B6C-06AF-4E51-A92E-593288D62886.jpeg

The tail and lower back wasn’t removed, it was just completely missing from birth.

Back
Top Bottom