Baby butts

MGonzalez

In the Brooder
Nov 7, 2019
Okay I was wondering if chicks bottoms usually clean themselves. I’ve been helping them, by cleaning them with warm water. They like it..What suggestions you have, plz help? Thanks grandmother of 25 baby chickens. My daughter is in high school FFA class. 1st time raising chickens

Yes. I used warm water. Rubbed their bottom gently, then I put them back down. It’s dry and hard for them to reach it themselves. Poor chicks, not all of them are like that. I added electrolytes to their water that seamed to help poop better.

Attachments

• 2DCD01CF-2EAE-4F90-9E1E-DD058B95712C.jpeg
    2DCD01CF-2EAE-4F90-9E1E-DD058B95712C.jpeg
    514.5 KB · Views: 0
ACV helped all of my keets. If you put a little bit of Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar in their water it really helps.

Make sure they are getting enough water? And that they aren’t too chilled or hot... both of these things can contribute to pasty butts. What are you using for heat? There’s not much else to do except check them frequently a wash their bottoms, because it can actually be fatal if they are left alone fully plugged.

If they have pasty butt you'll have to clean their bottoms regularly. Otherwise they could get a blockage and die. You should offer them water with vitamins and probiotics and that could help.

Someone else mentioned they could be too hot and that's a possibility as well. What age are the chicks and at what temperature do you have them?

If they have pasty butt you'll have to clean their bottoms regularly. Otherwise they could get a blockage and die. You should offer them water with vitamins and probiotics and that could help.

Someone else mentioned they could be too hot and that's a possibility as well. What age are the chicks and at what temperature do you have them?
They are 2weeks. They are pooping more as before and eating and drinking lots of water. Sometimes they poop and sit in it. I’ve been cleaning them so it won’t dry up.

Out of 10 or 12 hatchery sets, I've only had one end up pasty. It was slower shipped and in cold weather with 3 lost.

I agree that cold or stress caused it. I got them warm, and put additive in water and thoroughly cleaned. It never returned.

I know some breeds need trimming but I thought once you cleaned them up it was good to go if conditions were corrected. This may be why questions of current temps etc are coming in. Glad you ware on top of it though, I remember how tedious it was to carefully soak/wipe and repeat it was.

Make sure they are getting enough water? And that they aren’t too chilled or hot... both of these things can contribute to pasty butts. What are you using for heat? There’s not much else to do except check them frequently a wash their bottoms, because it can actually be fatal if they are left alone fully plugged.
I’ve been cleaning them every time if needed. They have lots of water, teacher told my daughter to put Vi-tal in the water for vitamins. We have heat lamp at night when cold. Changing their shavings everyday. Not all the chicks have their bottoms messy.

Back
Top Bottom