2 week old chicks trying to fly out of brooder

madison528

In the Brooder
Jul 26, 2022
Murrieta, California
I’m new to raising baby chicks.
I have a couple 2 week old chicks who are desperately trying to fly out of the brooder they’re in. They’re inside in a 27 gallon tote with all the things they need but just wondering if this is
image.jpg
normal? Every time I open the top of the brooder to clean it they’re trying to fly out. When I’m in the room with them they’re trying to fly out even with the top on the brooder, which makes them hit the top of the lid. I’m just afraid of a broken wing. I know I need a come on top of the brooder plate which I’m sure will help but any advice and/or suggestions to help this TIA!

As I took this photo one of them flew up and hit the lid

I don't think they see the HC. I have them try to escape all the time...LOL.... but I've never had them hit the lid. I use a wire shelf on the top, but to be honest, its more to keep out curious kitties. What breed are they? I would move to a larger brooder. That one looks a wee bit small.

It does look rather shallow from your picture.

They’re inside in a 27 gallon tote with all the things they need b
One possibility.. They're bored and need enrichment.. bring in a clump of dirt with grass still attached or some other new objects to peck at and inspect.

My chicks are usually real happy to scratch through even standard shavings.. pecking around and looking for stuff (even eating very small fragments).. But they are not usually still on paper towels at 2 weeks old.

ETA: Also trying to fly out is very common. They may even just be trying to roost on the side.. roosting bars are always good fun.

I don't think they see the HC. I have them try to escape all the time...LOL.... but I've never had them hit the lid. I use a wire shelf on the top, but to be honest, its more to keep out curious kitties. What breed are they? I would move to a larger brooder. That one looks a wee bit small.

It does look rather shallow from your picture.
They’re blue laced red wyandottes. Yeah I think I need to change the size of the brooder and hopefully that helps. Thank you!

If you cut slits in either side of a corner of the tub and thread new clean paint stirrers thru, or even use thin slats and go all the way across one side of your brooder, they will have a blast learning to sit on them. They'll get to a point where when you open the lid they'll all flap out, and that point should be soon! They grow up so fast <3

One possibility.. They're bored and need enrichment.. bring in a clump of dirt with grass still attached or some other new objects to peck at and inspect.

My chicks are usually real happy to scratch through even standard shavings.. pecking around and looking for stuff (even eating very small fragments).. But they are not usually still on paper towels at 2 weeks old.

ETA: Also trying to fly out is very common. They may even just be trying to roost on the side.. roosting bars are always good fun.
They’re on puppy pads but I only did that cause I read how much of a mess the shavings are but I’m going to try putting shavings in instead today and see how that helps. The grass and dirt are a great idea thank you!!

I use the same type of bin, but the taller (deeper) version.
I utilize the bins concave patterns on the sides of the plastic bin to slide dowel rods suspended by pressure from the sides, for a perch at one end. Chicks love this.
If they're super bored, I have "painted" on tiny dabs of greek yogurt on a few places on the walls at their level. They take right to it.. Oh WoW, do they LOVE pecking at this!!
Also, I give mine small fine grit if/when I introduce them to something other then their crumbles. Yogurt has always been a favorite in all the flocks I've raised.

Hi! Im a brand new chick mom. My girls are just about 2 weeks old and their brooder is a plastic tote right now. What advice would you give if you don't have the space for a larger brooder inside the house, but the weather isn't good enough for them to go outside? I have a shed, but it's super drafty

I use the same type of bin, but the taller (deeper) version.
I utilize the bins concave patterns on the sides of the plastic bin to slide dowel rods suspended by pressure from the sides, for a perch at one end. Chicks love this.
If they're super bored, I have "painted" on tiny dabs of greek yogurt on a few places on the walls at their level. They take right to it.. Oh WoW, do they LOVE pecking at this!!
Also, I give mine small fine grit if/when I introduce them to something other then their crumbles. Yogurt has always been a favorite in all the flocks I've raised.
I love the yogurt idea!! I’ll try that. I ended up ordering a pop up pet tent and it’s been the best.

Back
Top Bottom