Baby chic - lethargic and vomitted once, then passed away - WHY?

PEONEAL

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 27, 2013
Last night I posted this under Emergencies. I have not gotten a response therefore I thought I would try here. I am just very upset about losing my first baby chic!

My 1 1/2 week old chick has been doing awesome. Tonight she seemsed lethargic. I fed her and one other water via a dropper (not much just a few drops). I am then holding her and she throws the water up. Any ideas....I am new at this and worried.

This morning I added this:
She died in the night and I just don't understand what went wrong. She was thriving! Any ideas would be appreciated so that I know what I did wrong (if anything).

I have one other baby chic who is very upset. She never liked it when the other was removed from being with her. Now that she is alone she is upset - constant peeping.

Thanks - Jenny

I am new to keeping chickens myself. I am very sorry for your loss. Their first week or so, they are pretty fragile and it can sometimes be hard to know what happened. How had she been acting and eating and how were her poops? What about her breathing? What temp is the brooder?

Thank you for your response.

She was fine until yesterday. She slept alot yesterday and not moving around much. She was eating and pooping fine until yesterday although she had experienced pasty butt for several days that I had taken care of. The last few days she had not had any pasty butt at all. Temperature had been around 89-90. 2 days ago I reduced it and kept it around 84-85. I did not notice anything different with her breathing....

Sadly, sometimes chickens, and especially little chicks, just die. I have had this happen too, last time it was a year old chicken that seemed perfectly OK and then just fell over dead. It hard and doesn't seem to get easier even after many years.

I don't know where you live or hat access you have but if you can manage it try to get a new chick (or two) for the other chick ASAP. They are social animals and do not do well alone.

Back
Top Bottom