Baby chick attacked by hawk and cant walk! Help!!

jsforth777

Chirping
Sep 19, 2022
We have a two month old baby chick that was attacked by a hawk. Her left leg is stuck behind her and her toes can't straighten. Her knee cannot bend. Any ideas? We've been giving her aspirin in powder form. I forgot exactly the liquid and powder we got from Tractor Supply. She is a pulled from a Black Australorp hen and a Rhode Island Red roo.

Attachments

• 20230603_221521.jpg
    20230603_221521.jpg
    478.2 KB · Views: 39
Should it be put down or some more nursing?
It depends what it is. if it's the tendon, there's usually isn't a lot of promise fir healing but a leg can be popped back into socket.
Feel up the leg, can you feel the femur at the top or not? It might be too late to pop it back in.

It depends what it is. if it's the tendon, there's usually isn't a lot of promise fir healing but a leg can be popped back into socket.
Feel up the leg, can you feel the femur at the top or not? It might be too late to pop it back in.
She's moving her leg a lot, but unable to bend the knee. I feel her thigh/hip is fine so it's the tendon.

We have a two month old baby chick that was attacked by a hawk. Her left leg is stuck behind her and her toes can't straighten. Her knee cannot bend. Any ideas? We've been giving her aspirin in powder form. I forgot exactly the liquid and powder we got from Tractor Supply. She is a pulled from a Black Australorp hen and a Rhode Island Red roo.
That looks bad

The same thing happened to me yesterday. My one chick made it, one died wounds to severe the third one we never found.
So the one that made it , injured her leg. I isolated her in a box with food and water in my studio with a space heater. She improved from morning till afternoon. I’m not putting her with the other four chicks till she is really going good. I think time to recover is very important I’m hoping her leg is just sprained. She has a limp. Any advise or knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom