Baby Chick Badly Grasping For Air

Mahmood Pirazhn

Chirping
Sep 23, 2020
I had posted a thread 3 days ago, where my baby chick was grasping for air from time to time.
Now it has become constant, and makes a squealing sound when she breathes...
Note: The baby chick came from a big brooder and it was destined to die because they had forgotten to vaccinate her with the flock. I asked a veterinarian about it, they said since the baby chick has been gaining weight lately, there's no need for vaccines.
Weight: 102 grams
Diet: It's free ranged so worms, plants, and crushed oatmeal.
Body Temperature: 39.7 C° - 40.5 C°
Surrounding temperature: 24C° - 26 C°
Here's a video link:
https://streamable.com/8829ql
(Edit: increase the volume to max when watching the video)

Do you have a commercial chick feed where you are located? The chick sounds like it may have a respiratory virus such as infectious bronchitis, but it might be another disease. Most diseases are caused by exposure to a carrier, but MG (mycoplasma) can spread through the hatching eggs as well.

Do you have a commercial chick feed where you are located? The chick sounds like it may have a respiratory virus such as infectious bronchitis, but it might be another disease. Most diseases are caused by exposure to a carrier, but MG (mycoplasma) can spread through the hatching eggs as well.
I might be able to find that, do you know the specifications?
I will contact my local brooder to see if they have it.

Feed and farm stores should carry it. It depends on where you live. Most commercial feeds carry a number of different grains and legumes for a balanced diet.

Back
Top Bottom