baby chick being aggressive

sybilize

Chirping
5 Years
May 12, 2014
just got 3 new baby chicks- 1 cream legbar, and 2 polish. One of the polish is being very aggressive and attacking the eyes of the other chicks. Not an occasional peck but nonstop harassing them and grabbing their eyelids when she can. The container I have the 3 chicks in is huge- no competition for for food etc. I even tried putting her in with some older chicks and she is doing the same thing with them. Any suggestions?

I have separated her- is this something that they outgrow or cull or try to rehome?

My Easter egger is being a bossy teen! She will not let me touch her and she chases the other chicks aggressively. I have not noticed that she has actually hurt anyone; she just acts ugly for no apparent reason. They are in their "big-girl" coop now so they have plenty of room (4'x6' for 4 chicks who are 6 weeks old), 2 feeders that are kept full and in separate areas, and 2 water sources. They are all eating and drinking well, they are not showing signs of heat stress, and everyone seems to be hale and hearty. If she was a child, I'd ground her; if a dog or cat, I'd use the spay bottle. How does one go about grounding a chick?

I made a 5 sided box out of 1/2" hardware cloth just big enough for a couple chicks and put the bully chick underneath it right in the brooder.
Several time outs for an hour or so, every time it attacked another chick like that seemed to take care of the problem.

Put the chick with larger chicks, then she should be just fine!!

Last edited:
Chick was put in with older chicks and no more issues- she grew up to be the sweetest chicken ever

Back
Top Bottom