baby chick being aggressive

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sybilize, Jul 28, 2015.

1. sybilize

sybilize Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2014
    just got 3 new baby chicks- 1 cream legbar, and 2 polish. One of the polish is being very aggressive and attacking the eyes of the other chicks. Not an occasional peck but nonstop harassing them and grabbing their eyelids when she can. The container I have the 3 chicks in is huge- no competition for for food etc. I even tried putting her in with some older chicks and she is doing the same thing with them. Any suggestions?

2. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    Put her alone

3. sybilize

May 12, 2014
    I have separated her- is this something that they outgrow or cull or try to rehome?

4. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    Maybe,but maybe not

5. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2015
    Chesapeake, VA
    My Easter egger is being a bossy teen! She will not let me touch her and she chases the other chicks aggressively. I have not noticed that she has actually hurt anyone; she just acts ugly for no apparent reason. They are in their "big-girl" coop now so they have plenty of room (4'x6' for 4 chicks who are 6 weeks old), 2 feeders that are kept full and in separate areas, and 2 water sources. They are all eating and drinking well, they are not showing signs of heat stress, and everyone seems to be hale and hearty. If she was a child, I'd ground her; if a dog or cat, I'd use the spay bottle. How does one go about grounding a chick?

6. sybilize

May 12, 2014
    I swear this is the baby chick from hell

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I made a 5 sided box out of 1/2" hardware cloth just big enough for a couple chicks and put the bully chick underneath it right in the brooder.
    Several time outs for an hour or so, every time it attacked another chick like that seemed to take care of the problem.

8. Bryam

Bryam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Put the chick with larger chicks, then she should be just fine!!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  9. sybilize

May 12, 2014
    Chick was put in with older chicks and no more issues- she grew up to be the sweetest chicken ever

10. Bryam

Bryam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    I am glad to hear that!! Never give up!;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by