Trying to move mama hen and her chicks in with existing flock

limeollie

Hatching
Mar 31, 2023
So last year I got my first ever 3 little chicks, and 4 new chicks the beginning of this year. Of course, it took quite a while for the existing chicks to get used to the little ones but the older chickens would never do anything more then pecking their head or chasing them around as they were getting used to each other. But during the period where they were getting used to each other one of the older hens went broody and decided she wanted to be a mother, so I picked up some fertilized eggs from a neighbor and now we have beautiful 11 week old chicks! With them being 11 weeks old we wanted to start transitioning them to moving into the existing flock. But earlier today we lost power so I grabbed the mama and brought her outside just for a few minutes so then she can be under the misters we have as it is a hot day and the power turning off turned off her fan. But immediately, her sister (who they have grown up with each other since they were babies) started attacking her! Now we did separate the mama and her babies once they hatched to put them in a safer area from the bigger chickens, but everyday we would bring both the mama and her chicks outside along with the older chickens to free range a little, we just had a fence separating the two, but every time one of her sisters (the same one that attacked her earlier today) would jump the fence and just hang out on that side with the mama, only time the mama would be upset is if that chicken got to close to her chicks, then they would get in a little tussle that I would break up. But the past 2 weeks we would bring each group out at different times of the day just because 1 of the older chickens got fowl pox and we didn't want the lil babies getting exposed to it (she is all better now!) But anyways, in just the past 2 weeks could the older hen had forgotten about her sister? Is the fighting they get into just regular pecking order fights? Because the only pecking order 'fights' I have seen is just pecking on the head and chasing. Are they not going to have the bond that they had prior to the hen being a mama? Just some interesting behaviors I noticed, my plan right now is to move the mama and her babies outside right next to the existing flock but still separated. Any tips or advice? I am a new chicken mom so anything will be helpful! (also sorry for bad grammar or any unnecessary information)

Your doing the right thing. The longer they stay next to the flock the better. Makes for a easier transition into the flock.

If you can get the chicks closer to the size of the adults the transition would go even smoother.

Your doing the right thing. The longer they stay next to the flock the better. Makes for a easier transition into the flock.

If you can get the chicks closer to the size of the adults the transition would go even smoother.
Hello there :) Just wonder ( now i read it here all over ) what is the best to do, mama hen was the best mum exactly till her babies were 3 month old, now she is chasing them always away :( Now the 3 three month old chicks are completely a different coop, always on the other side of garden from the original coop, even sleep in different houses. What im i supposed to do? Eventually they will need to be one coop in one house. I would be happy with some advise please :) Have a good day and thank you! 🐔

I do not ever keep my chicks separated from the hens. I think that in trying to be so nice and keep the chicks so safe, you are actually interfering too much. Most broody hens quit their chicks around 4 weeks, but I do have one, that tends to keep hers much longer.

However, I do have a large run, with a lot of clutter in the run, and a lot of places where chicks can get out of the way or reach of hens. If I have a broody hen, I let her introduce them to the flock with the chicks are about 2 days old.

A broody hen that has remained with the flock, is meaner than a junk yard dog. When she does come off the nest, she puffs up like a beach ball, stomps around, and scares the rest of the flock. This is good, she is much higher in the pecking order, and the layers learn to give her some space. When she comes out with the chicks, they are giving her space, and the chicks learn quickly that is where they need to be.

If I don't have a broody mamma - I use a dog create with a well insulated spot, attach that to a pen in the run, that has the bottom lifted off the ground. In a day or two, the chicks venture out on their terms, scuttling back to safety if needed. By a week they are eating right next to the layers. Then tend to hang together, a little sub flock in the flock, and will so until they begin to lay.

My chicks grow up with a lot of space, and a lot of exercise. They are healthy and robust. They understand chicken society.

When you separate birds, they loose their place in the flock, even if they had been raised together, very very quickly. I don't separate birds, except for roosters. It tends to cause more problems than it fixes.

MRs K

When a hen hatches, by day 3 there back in big pen. And I only wait that long to let eggs finish hatching / chicks can at least walk. Im a strong believer in chicks on ground outside and integrated day 1. The mom will do her job no matter pecking order the earlier the better.l. By 4-6 weeks most are kicking her kids out.

too many people put human feelings into these mini dinosaurs. Let nature take its path, if a chick dies its part of the circle of life. It was weak. Mom knew it so she abandins it.

If you can get the chicks closer to the size of the adults the transition would go even smoother
only true if not raised by a broody.. whuch the OP chucks are. There gona have a tough integration the longer u wait . Moma hen is gona get worked over, chicks ar3 gona get stepped on / head pecked.

OP, next time onegoes broody get them integrated ASAP. Like day 2/3!

Back
Top Bottom