Baby Chick Bobbing/twitching her head

Harun

Songster
Apr 10, 2021
My baby chick who I suspected had gapeworm is now start to jolt her head when falling asleep. Should I be worried? She already seemingly gapes for no reason and now this. Does she have a type of lice? Is there something in her crop/throat bothering her? Is it really gapeworm and is she trying to dislodge the foul parasite? I'm very paranoid and I don't want to lose her. She's only about 4 weeks old. She's very active and doesn't express any signs of lethargy, it's just the head bobbing and the gaping mouth.
Edit: I set her back in the brooder and the first thing she did is go for water. Maybe she was thirsty but is it also the reason for the head bobbing?

How hot is your brooder? Gapeworms are very rare. It may just be adjusting it's crop contents. Otherwise when they are too warm they may gasp.

How hot is your brooder? Gapeworms are very rare. It may just be adjusting it's crop contents. Otherwise when they are too warm they may gasp.
I have them outside and keep one thermal lamp on at night, but not in the morning, as it gets very hot at that time. Morning temperature I’d estimate averages 90-95, whereas at night, (excluding the lamp) averages about 75 degrees.

Back
Top Bottom