Baby chick can’t stand

Prswishy

Hatching
Apr 15, 2021
I have a 4 day old dwarf chick. He had trouble getting out of the egg so we had to help get him out but now he can’t stand on his own. I put him in a sock to keep him mostly upright but I’m not sure how to get him to stand/sit on his own. He is smaller than his brothers/sisters who are the same age. I gave him water with a tiny bit of honey yesterday and then switched to regular water and a raw egg yolk mixed with warm water. He can’t eat and drink without help so I’ve been trying to feed him every 2 hours. His legs work because I see him kicking to drag his body forward and they don’t look spraddled. I also have rooster booster vitamins and electrolytes getting delivered today for his water.

last night I had him in my room and he did not make any noises. I checked on him every 2-3 hrs to make sure he was breathing. He makes loud chirping noises when I try to pick him up because I have to hand feed him droplets on his beak. Also since he can’t walk on his own I wiped his butt down with warm water to clean off his poo.

How do I get him to stand up and move around like his brothers/sisters? This is my first time with a chick (my dad took the healthy ones and I made it my goal to save this little guy) Please help me I’m already very attached

Attachments

• AF3C8B78-F081-4A91-B3FC-A2CFC8CC1911.jpeg
    AF3C8B78-F081-4A91-B3FC-A2CFC8CC1911.jpeg
    251 KB · Views: 25
  • 80D54EE9-7D4E-4CEE-8E7B-1A5D0C52CA04.jpeg
    80D54EE9-7D4E-4CEE-8E7B-1A5D0C52CA04.jpeg
    247 KB · Views: 16
I find that if chicks do not hatch on their own there is usually a reason why... A deformity or they just weren't meant to be.

You can try vitamins but unfortunately he didn't hatch for a reason

I find that if chicks do not hatch on their own there is usually a reason why... A deformity or they just weren't meant to be.

Sadly, from my own experience, I’ll have to agree, though there are some cases where they can still live, but the chance is low.

I think the chick did not hatch because while it was trying to hatch, my little cousins kept opening and closing the incubator lid and I think it dried out the chick and prevented it from hatching correctly... this was our first time hatching chickens and I didn’t realize this was an issue until after the fact.

I think the chick did not hatch because while it was trying to hatch, my little cousins kept opening and closing the incubator lid and I think it dried out the chick and prevented it from hatching correctly... this was our first time hatching chickens and I didn’t realize this was an issue until after the fact.
This might be the case but more than likely there are a few things in play here.

Can you get Nutri-Drench?
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...we-Rs5M9LiPfFjH1ThmV0gXTgpw1D83AaAvydEALw_wcB

Can you get some Pedialyte?
Great idea— I keep it on hand always because it is a great rehydration option for people of all ages, and animals too.
OP—In case you don’t know, you can get pedialyte from any grocery store, & even most convenience stores...it’s in the baby section, near the formula, usually.

I have a 4 day old dwarf chick. He had trouble getting out of the egg so we had to help get him out but now he can’t stand on his own. I put him in a sock to keep him mostly upright but I’m not sure how to get him to stand/sit on his own. He is smaller than his brothers/sisters who are the same age. I gave him water with a tiny bit of honey yesterday and then switched to regular water and a raw egg yolk mixed with warm water. He can’t eat and drink without help so I’ve been trying to feed him every 2 hours. His legs work because I see him kicking to drag his body forward and they don’t look spraddled. I also have rooster booster vitamins and electrolytes getting delivered today for his water.

last night I had him in my room and he did not make any noises. I checked on him every 2-3 hrs to make sure he was breathing. He makes loud chirping noises when I try to pick him up because I have to hand feed him droplets on his beak. Also since he can’t walk on his own I wiped his butt down with warm water to clean off his poo.

How do I get him to stand up and move around like his brothers/sisters? This is my first time with a chick (my dad took the healthy ones and I made it my goal to save this little guy) Please help me I’m already very attached
B12 and D3 is what I would do and am doing now. You may have both at home in your vitamin cabinet. B12 dissolvable in drinking water. The way I understand it and have researched it, there is no chance of OD and the chick will eliminate what its body can't use. D3 you will need to guess on unless you're a scientist. You don't have anything to lose at this point. At the very least, I would give B12. My days old chick was nearly dead and later that night holding her head up, next day, barely walking, next day walking, next day walking without falling over, today, running and eating and playing. Still a lot of sleeping but WOW what a difference.

Back
Top Bottom