baby chick coughing

hugonaut

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 5, 2011
Hi Friends,

I am a new "chicken mom" to now 3 chicks. We purchased 4 chicks almost 3 weeks ago from a feed store. 2 were 2 weeks old and 2 were 2 days old. I set chicks up the way the store advised me to. Box, hay, heat lamp (95). After about 3 days the 2 older chicks started coughing. and sadly 2 days later 1 died. I moved our box upstairs to a room where the temp. would be more stable. Each chick caught the cough and then was fine, except one of the younger ones. She has been coughing for 12 days now and wheezes when she breathes.

I have been treating all of them with Duramycin-10 in their drinking water. I don't know what else to do for this baby chick. She is now almost 3 weeks old. She eats, drinks, and sleeps, but she seems to labor much with her breathing.

Can someone help me know what else I should do for her. I don't want to lose her.

Denise:(

Last edited:
I'm way too new to know anything about this, but hate that you haven't had anyone reply. Hopefully someone with experience will chime in. You may also want to post in the emergency forum.

How about their eyes, are they seem to be watery? Might be a respiratory infection. I would contact the store where you purchased them, and ask them if any of their other customers have experienced this. They may be able to get you some new chicks to replace these ones.

You'll need to clean their cage about 2 times a day, and try to fully clean it once a day to help get rid of any contact with bacteria which may be hanging around.

Hope everything gets better for the little chick. Sorry you had to go through the devastation, especially on your first batch of chicks.

Thank you to who replied to me. My coughing one survived and all are thriving and doing well!
I am really loving these chickens.

I also did clean out the box every day. I think that did the trick.

Denise

Back
Top Bottom