Baby chick emaciated and not eating—keeps jerking her neck and chirping in distress! Help!

Island_trudy

Hatching
May 22, 2023
Hi everyone. I rescued four baby chicks, who I believe are 1.5 weeks old. Three are thriving, but one has splayed legs, which I believe has left her malnourished. She seemed fine at first, but she has gotten progressively worse. I tried to correct the splayed legs to no avail. I’ve separated her from her siblings (they were trampling and pecking her) and started feeding her through a syringe over the past few days (yogurt, egg yolk, blended medicated chick feed and meal worms, etc.) Before I began feeding her blended food through a syringe, she mostly ate cornmeal, chia seeds, buckwheat, and fruit (mango). However, she isn’t gaining any weight and sleeps for the majority of the day. Additionally, she does this weird movement whereby she jerks her neck back. She’s still pooping, so some of the food is being digested. I’ve attached a photo and video. She’s a fighter, and I’d like to help her if at all possible. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Jerking Movements

Attachments

• B5147941-2751-4435-96D9-3262C426FF24.jpeg
    B5147941-2751-4435-96D9-3262C426FF24.jpeg
    314.9 KB · Views: 27

Back
Top Bottom