Baby chick emergency

crhode2clemson

In the Brooder
Apr 14, 2016
We do not have an incubator, it's the middle of the night, and I have a chick murdering broody hen. She's already killed two. We've got one that I believe she damaged the shell on before it was really ready. It's looks way under developed from the last batch but I'm worried if I stick it back in there with her, I'll wake up in the morning to another dead chick. I've got it under a lamp, in a moist cloth, but I'm really not sure if this is a good idea either.

Attachments

• IMG_4911.JPG
    IMG_4911.JPG
    583 KB · Views: 8
We do not have an incubator, it's the middle of the night, and I have a chick murdering broody hen. She's already killed two. We've got one that I believe she damaged the shell on before it was really ready. It's looks way under developed from the last batch but I'm worried if I stick it back in there with her, I'll wake up in the morning to another dead chick. I've got it under a lamp, in a moist cloth, but I'm really not sure if this is a good idea either.

Oh no! Is it possible to simply move that evil hen out of the coop for the night? Or do you have a kind hen that would be willing to lay on the eggs until they are ready to hatch? Do you know what day the chicks are in their development?

I'm not sure what day in their incubation they are. We were letting our leghorn go broody and she had a mixture of eggs under her from all our hens. In the move from the outside coop to the inside box, we accidentally drug 6 additional eggs in. By the time we realized it, I believe they were at least a week into development and one of our Rhode Island reds had been broody on fake eggs for at least a week. We simply traded them out and this was over a week ago but not sure the exact date. We had one chick hatch two days ago. She killed it but I chalked it up to accident. She had another hatch yesterday around 5pm and by 10pm it was dead. This one had a pip in it at 10 but by 11 she had crushed one side of it in and it was pretty bloody. I ended up putting it back under her for the night, hoping she wouldn't move much and it wouldn't hatch all the way. It's still alive this morning but the membrane was completely dried out and stuck to it. I've got it back in a warm wet cloth under a lamp with a thermometer trying to keep it at 99 degrees. Can't get the humidity up past 45 however.

Back
Top Bottom