Baby Chick has swollen bald butt!???

BAZL

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 17, 2013
I have 5 baby chicks and three of them are bantams the feed store could not tell me exact breeds so i will upload a picture. I usually give them all a few good look overs during the day but today isnt like most days anyways so i was doing that this evening and noticed that one of them has a bald and swollen butt its not red just pink like it should be but swollen. Not sure what to do i thought about using like warm compresses with water and a cloth. raising chicks is new to me so please use simple words to explain if possible. Thank you. Im not sure how to add an attachment it said i dont have permission to so i will change my avatar to the pick. thanks again.

Last edited:
Hi &
welcome-byc.gif
. I think you have to have several post or you need to reply to several before you can post pictures to the site. You could run some warm water and hold the chick so just it's bottom gets a bath. Just hold it in the warm water for several minutes and get off any dried poo. After dry it a little and you could use some regular neosporin to cover the area. I have also used desitin cream on a chicks bottom. Are your chicks one hardware cloth? That can cause problems like you have with baby chicks - if so, put newspaper over it and cover the newspaper with paper towel so, it's not so slippery. Make sure the chick is walking ok as scooting around on a butt can cause it to loose its fluff too.

Thank you for your help. your time spent is much appreciated. I am not sure what you mean by hardware cloth but what i've done is lay newspaper down and taped it to the bottom of the box so it wouldnt move then i covered it with pine shavings from the feed store about 2 -2 1/2 inches deep. The reason for this method was so it would be easier for me to clean it. I moved the chick into its own box without newspaper so that the others wouldnt pick on it if they would. I will try the bath and see there is no poop on its butt its just pink and poochie.

I have 2 chicks with a bald swollen butt. I have seen them poop and it is a bit loose, but not like diareah. They are in a 4x4 pen on the ground with @ 25 other chicks who are fine. The chicks are eating and running around like all the others. Appear to healthy and active other than the awful looking butt and dilated belly.

I can see a few tiny nicks and a scratch, but would expect that since the skin is not protected with feathers. They don't look infected.

Here are pics of one of them.

I have the same issue with one chick, 5 weeks old. Its just pink, bald...but because its bald i think it makes it look swollen. No marks, no bloody or diarrhea. Should i be worried? She is in with my 2 buffs and 2 dominques and i believe she is one of my b/rock 4 total. She may be Dominique.she eats well, drinks well. Has all her down and feathers going good, just a bald butt. Would love to hear if we found an answer.

Thank you for your help. your time spent is much appreciated. I am not sure what you mean by hardware cloth but what i've done is lay newspaper down and taped it to the bottom of the box so it wouldnt move then i covered it with pine shavings from the feed store about 2 -2 1/2 inches deep. The reason for this method was so it would be easier for me to clean it. I moved the chick into its own box without newspaper so that the others wouldnt pick on it if they would. I will try the bath and see there is no poop on its butt its just pink and poochie.
i have a little bantie from TSC also with the same isssue, just pink and swollen,,no dried poop either,,,,been cleaning area with peroxide and using hydrocortisone cream..it eats drinks and runs all over the place, i use puppy training pads in the brooder....for easy clean up......i do the maintenance 2x a day

Back
Top Bottom