Baby chick help please

Lovesilkty21

Songster
10 Years
Jul 26, 2009
Chandler
Hi-
This is my 3rd time having chicks, so I still feel very new to all of it. My chicks are 2 weeks old now, I have 11 that I got from sourthern farm hatchery. They have all been doing great really compared to my first batch of chicks 2 years ago were I lost 3 very quickly. I have not lost any this time but now I have some worries about one that just doesn’t seem to be keeping up with the others, she’s a black australorp (maple) she seems just off, more tired then the others more labored breathing and so on so I’m really really worried about her, her sister(licorice) the other black australorp is a bit behind the others but still seems more ok then maple. What should I be thinking is wrong with her and how can I help her, and keep my other 10 safe as well.

I also have a side question about another of my chicks, I have 2 red sexlink/stars and one of them(pepper) seems to have feathered feet and I not thinking that is common with sexlinks, shes totally healthy shes my loudest most rambunctious chick, just wondering about the feet, and at first her sister(rosemerry) had fuzz but it dropped off, but peppers fuzz didn’t and now there are feathers growing in, I’ve never had a feather footed breed so seems odd to me….
Thanks you for any advice in advance….

Much Love-
Lizzz
Four grown ladies Vanilla(black sexlink), Cookie(barred rock), Pumpkin, & Sugar (buff orp). Baby girls (Black sexlink/stars: cinnamon, nutmeg, chilli Sussex: mint, sage, bay, Red sexlink/stars: Pepper, rosemerry, Americana: lavender, Black australorp: maple, licorice)

Im sorry about your chick,I'm not so sure whats wrong? I've only had chickens for a small amount of time , but I do know that some breeds of chickens are suposed to have feathers on there feet. When I was buying my chicks, I saw a breed of chicks that were suposed to have feathers on there feet. It was suposed to protect them from frostbite. hopeIhelped.

lol laughing at myself here, i think i figured out the feathered feet the breeder i ordered from also has Salmon Faverolles which i wanted but they only said straight run which i can't do as i for sure wanted hens, but the Salmon Faverolles have feathered feet, so either they was cross breeding or instead of red sexlinks i think i got Salmon Faverolles which would explain why rosemerry seem to have tuffs on her checks : ) also(she also i just looked has 2 feathers starting on one foot). Now I'm even more excited to see how they grow up, because the Salmon Faverolles look more like Americanas chickens, which i just love!!!!

You can treat for coccidiosis if you think that is what it is- here are the usual signs for you to evaluate:

lethargic
usually less than 8 weeks old
may or may not have bloody poo
sits in corner by itself
eyes closed
feathers fluffed up
looks cold
not eating or drinking

I hope your little one doesn't have it...if you think it could be coccidiosis then it is a swift killer.

Tried to get Maple perked up egg yolk & apple sauce and it worked a little but then the next day she was not doing well, she passed that same day yesterday
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom