Baby Chick Help! Really need expert opinion

Agreed. I toss remaining eggs after the rest get going. Most times, those eggs weren't viable to begin with, or died along the way.

The broody with the chicks will leave any unhatched eggs by day 2, usually, so any eggs left after that don't stand much of a chance anyway. And broody number 2(or however this is going) will either completely snap out of broodiness, or start trying to set more eggs as she finds them lol... I've seen it go both ways but seems around here, it takes a little while for the broody that got the dud eggs to realize she's not going to hatch any and give up. Meanwhile, broody number 1 already has her batch of chicks coming to her beck and call, and everybody resumes order.

I took a break from brooding this year; lol this is reminding me why :D

Last edited:
Thank you all for the input. There's one last egg that looks like it's getting kicked aside. I put the flock to bed and I noticed both Broody's are still sitting together with the chicks. Will they co raise or will it eventually come down to 1? Clearly this is my first time.

They might split them, or one will end up with all of them. That's another reason I sometimes split them up with their own chicks...

I had this same scenario last fall; I had a Cochin go broody so I set some eggs under her. 3 days later, a Wyandotte went broody, a first timer :p So, I split the batch between the two of them. Day 21 comes, and of course, the Wyandotte decided she wanted the chicks that already hatched under the Cochin, so she left her eggs to go with the chicks, and the Cochin. Ugh. So I gave her the 3 first chicks and Cochin went back to setting. Fast forward 2 days and I had 6 chicks that were identical, and one white one. The Wyandotte went nuts thinking all the chicks were hers and the Cochin was trying to keep hers, etc etc.. The white one got her wing almost ripped off when the Wyandotte decided she was positive the white one was an imposter. I actually ended up removing the Wyandotte from the flock. Gave all the chicks to the Cochin. Shecwas too new andcdumb to figure out which chicks were hers lol.

It is almost impossible for me not to meddle a little bit, even though it's supposed to be "natural".. There's a first time for everything, broody hens included. They're not really " in the wild" anymore, per se, so they really don't know a thing about it sometimes. They accidentally smother them sometimes too. (That hen will never get eggs again, for sure). If we didn't have a first time in these things, we would never learn anything. So kudos for hanging in there, it gets better ;)

Last edited:
Hii im raising chickens sice 8 years but usually my chickens die due to throat cough and flu plzz tell me any medicine to prevent them from this ad im living in pakistan

Back
Top Bottom