Baby chick integration

Cheriea0221

Hatching
Jun 19, 2017
I've been reading through the forums and have tried almost all the suggestions I've read but nothing is working and I'm at a loss on what to do.
My flock includes:
1 silver laced wyandotte (aprox 5 months old)
2 RI Reds ....at least thats what they look like and what the breeder said they were (aprox 3 months)
2 dark brahma hens (born May 1st)
1 light brahma Roo (born May 2nd)

The 3 older girls get a long fine, they did their whole pecking order and the following day the reds were following the Silver around with no issues at all. The Reds however will still constantly challenge each other but not the Silver.

When we got the Brahma babies we kept them indoors till they got 90% of their feathers then put them in the coop with the others however they are in a wired dog kennel inside. This way they get to be in the coop with the other girls but they cant get hurt. I have a pretty big run outside that I put them into during the day and still had the babies in the kennel but outside in the run also. This started about 3 weeks ago. Each time I try to let the babies out in the run with the big girls the reds attack them constantly. I know they have to get the pecking order out of the way but this is a daily thing. I let them do it for about 10-15 min then put the babies back in the kennel but still in the run.

The issue I have is the babies will not try defend themselves, all 3 will go running to a safe place and stay there cuddled up, they dont ever try to protect themselves at all. And I'm to worried about them because of that to let the Reds and them loose together longer without supervision. The Silver will peck but not hard and wont chase them down like the Reds do.

So I"m looking for suggestions on how to get them safely integrated with the Reds.

I've been reading through the forums and have tried almost all the suggestions I've read but nothing is working and I'm at a loss on what to do.
My flock includes:
1 silver laced wyandotte (aprox 5 months old)
2 RI Reds ....at least thats what they look like and what the breeder said they were (aprox 3 months)
2 dark brahma hens (born May 1st)
1 light brahma Roo (born May 2nd)

The 3 older girls get a long fine, they did their whole pecking order and the following day the reds were following the Silver around with no issues at all. The Reds however will still constantly challenge each other but not the Silver.

When we got the Brahma babies we kept them indoors till they got 90% of their feathers then put them in the coop with the others however they are in a wired dog kennel inside. This way they get to be in the coop with the other girls but they cant get hurt. I have a pretty big run outside that I put them into during the day and still had the babies in the kennel but outside in the run also. This started about 3 weeks ago. Each time I try to let the babies out in the run with the big girls the reds attack them constantly. I know they have to get the pecking order out of the way but this is a daily thing. I let them do it for about 10-15 min then put the babies back in the kennel but still in the run.

The issue I have is the babies will not try defend themselves, all 3 will go running to a safe place and stay there cuddled up, they dont ever try to protect themselves at all. And I'm to worried about them because of that to let the Reds and them loose together longer without supervision. The Silver will peck but not hard and wont chase them down like the Reds do.

So I"m looking for suggestions on how to get them safely integrated with the Reds.
is there any way that you can let them free range?

I wait until after I have hatched a group large enough, or feathered out enough, that they don't get pecked. The recent problem I have is allowing broody hens to do it themselves. Out of four only two were not savaged. The reason is I am certain chickens can tell colors. My Blue Americanas only tolerated chickens their own color. Anything that came splash they killed. But, they allowed two blue chicks to survive and thrive, teaching them how to eat and drink. One even hopped on his mother's back for a ride.

Back
Top Bottom