baby chick is struggling to poo!

Lunafarmchickens

Songster
Sep 12, 2017
My baby silkie looks to me like he/she is having a hard time pooping. It does have some dried poo on its butt, but no matter what I try a CANNOT get it off! If I scrub with a damp rag for too long it starts screaming like I'm hurting it! What should I do? I also have a bantam Cochin chick doing the same thing. Should I be worried??? Any info would be GREATLY appreciated!

My baby silkie looks to me like he/she is having a hard time pooping. It does have some dried poo on its butt, but no matter what I try a CANNOT get it off! If I scrub with a damp rag for too long it starts screaming like I'm hurting it! What should I do? I also have a bantam Cochin chick doing the same thing. Here's a vid, should I be worried???

Cannot see the video. But it sounds like pasty butt. Try a warm butt bath by soakin it for a few minutes so it wipes off easily. Dry chick with a warm not hot dryer. It could be from being to warm. If they have feathers that it is clumping to they can be trimmed. If the bum is raw a tinny dab of neosporin without pain relief can be used. Watch chick well and repeat bath if it happen again.

Cannot see the video. But it sounds like pasty butt. Try a warm butt bath by soakin it for a few minutes so it wipes off easily. Dry chick with a warm not hot dryer. It could be from being to warm. If they have feathers that it is clumping to they can be trimmed. If the bum is raw a tinny dab of neosporin without pain relief can be used. Watch chick well and repeat bath if it happen again.
Ok thanks! I will try right away.

I would try a warm butt bath as well. Just to make sure you add some heat as not to chill the chick. Keep us posted.

This is from another web site. Be careful and don't mistake the navel/dried umbilical cord of a new chick for a pasted vent! The vent is beneath the tail; the navel is further down toward the legs/belly. If you remove the scab over an open navel, it will nearly always result in a dead chick, and the poor thing will die very painfully. So before removing anything, be sure you’re targeting pasting, not a healing navel.

Treatment
First, we only recommend you treat a chick whose vent is fully pasted, as treatment can be stressful enough to induce pasty butt! If you determine you've got a completely blocked vent, here's what to do. Keep in mind that the least-stressful thing for the chick is to treat quickly and return it to its flock-mates. The longer you have it out of its brooder, the more likely the pasted butt will recur.
  • Gather your materials: a paper towel, Q-tips, a portable heater or blow dryer, a bowl of warm water, and a bag for disposal of soiled items.
  • Put paper towel down under where you'll be working on the chick. If you have a portable heater, place it next to your work station for the chick's comfort.
  • Bring the affected chick to your work station.
  • Wet a paper towel in the bowl of warm water and apply to chick's rear to soften the dried droppings.
  • Give the poo a "tug", using the paper towel, and see if it comes off. (Don't be afraid if a little of the chick's fluffy rear end feathers come out, too.)
  • If it doesn't, keep wetting the rear end, using either Q-tips or paper towels to dislodge the poo.
We know the chicks seem so young and fragile, but don't be too shy here. Remember, this condition is deadly, and if you don't clear the vent, the chick will die. Also, don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good! A little dingleberry (ha!) left will no harm the chick. It will stress the chick MORE if you're keeping it out of it's brooder for 20 minutes trying to achieve a perfectly clean rump.

Once the chick is clear, dry it off with paper towels, spend a few moment near the heater if the chick seems to enjoy that, and return it to the brooder as soon as possible.

Its worked! Thank you!

Glad you posted that I went and checked my 28 new arrivals and one had a pasty butt. I added warm water and added nutrient drops to a dropper just to give the little guy a boost of energy. So what I am saying is thank you. Just took me a long time to say it. lol

Back
Top Bottom