Baby Chick...lethargic, won't walk and had a brownish pink stool

chicgirl03

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 30, 2008
I'm very worried about one of my new baby chicks. I'm a first time owner and just purchased some from TSC on Friday. I'm not sure how old they are or what breeds since they came out of the assorted pullet bin. They have feather's on the tips of their wings if that could help tell how old they are.

My problem is that one chick (who I was told might be a white leghorn) seemed more lethargic than the others on Friday and by Saturday afternoon wasn't really walking very good and I didn't think she had eaten or drank in awhile so I encouraged her to do so and she would. It just seemed like she wouldn't make her way over to it. At that time I saw her poop and became extremely worried! It was brownish pink and kind of clumpy. I assumed it was blood in her stool. I seperated her from the others that seem to be doing quite well.

I thought she would surely die yesterday but I kept encouraging her to eat and drink and late last night she was making her own way to eat and drink by herself and her poo was green but still clumpy looking. Also yesterday she had begun to lean to one side while laying and wouldn't stand up. Then this morning when I checked on her she seemed a bit more perked up and when I held her she stood up in my hand but she still crawls around in her box and will lean to one side.

I see encouraging signs but just do not know what could have caused any of this. Please let me know what you think and if it sounds like she might be recovering and could begin walking again?

Oh I am feeding her Dumor feed and putting Terramycin in the water. Is there anything else I should be giving her or any of them?

Thank you so much for any response!!!

What kind of litter are you using in the brooder? Unless you are certain she has an infection, you probably shouldn't be using an antibiotic or so I've read on many threads posted on the forum.

Do you think she could have eaten some of it? I use pine shavings, but I've heard that when chicks are 1-3 days old you should use paper towels over the litter until you are sure they know what their food is. Cedar is very bad for them, but I don't know about aspen. I wish some more experienced folks would respond! Hang in there. How is the chick right now? Will she eat and drink?

Since no one with experience is replying right now, I suggest using the search button and type in lethargic chick to see what pops up. So many threads about lethargic chicks are on this forum, you might just find the right diagnosis from reading other threads. Best wishes to you and your little chick. I'll check back after church.
smile.png

She has shown more improvement. She's is still eating and drinking and she just now stood up some and walked a few steps instead of crawling.

Oh I hope she'll make a full recovery. I eventually read that about the shavings and making sure they know where their food is yesterday while looking for answers to help her. I hope she didn't eat any and if she did she'll be okay!

I've also read alot about electrolytes or gataraid water to perk up lethargic chicks? I'm wondering if I should give her some to help her stay awake and she would be more encouraged to try to walk around?

Thank you airmom for your help and concern!

Since she is so young, she may need her rest, but I see no problem with using electrolytes, I just don't know how much per gallon of water you should mix. I'm happy to hear she seems better, and I hope this trend continues. I would have replied sooner, but it's my DH's birthday. We went out to eat after church and he wanted to take the scenic route home. How is your baby doing now?

Last edited:
I do not know what type of feed you are using (if it is medicated or not) nor how old this chick is (I am assuming a very young chick...but this could be cocci... (even when on med feed it can happen and then they need to be given a non medicated feed and put on cocci med at therapeutic dosage)...can you get a faecal at the vet to check for cocci??

check the crop for a lump..could have eaten bedding.

also could just be weak from not getting enough food..
maybe too weak to compete.

are you giving vitamins?
vitamins are better then giving terramycin for no particular reason.

you mentioned the droppings were PINK and brown..then turned green. right?
pink can indicate cocci.
the green is from not eating.

since the chick is eating, how are the droppings now?

if you see any more pink or red and the chick doesn't rally..if she were mine, I'd treat for cocci.
corid/amprolium or sulmet.

Her crop seemed full this morning because I think she eats more than she drinks but she will drink water if you put it in front of her. She didn't have too many droppings last night or this morning so I gave her some plain yogurt. She seemed to really like it and when I got home this evening she had pooped more. It's greenish with the white tip. It looks like it has more form the other chicks though. What color is their poo suppose to be? Last night there was a poo that was mostly greenish with one spot of pink but like I said it comes out in long forms. I thought their poo was kind of blobby?

She still won't stand up but I noticed that if I kind of hold her up she'll take steps forward with her feet. She also uses her legs to crawl around her box so not sure if she has paralysis or not??

I've put a mirror in there today to stimulate her and I think she is staying awake a bit more

Oh and I went to Wal-Mart and got the infant vitamin drops. Do I mix it in her water or put a drop of it straight on her beak? Will it hurt to give her the vitamin plus keep giving her the terramycin water?

Back
Top Bottom