Baby chick losing feathers

Hagemt

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2018
Chick losing baby feathers, adult feathers not coming in or coming in looking broken. Only chick in group of 7 having symptoms. Otherwise very healthy chick. Unknown breed. Started on the top of the back. Stomach still looks fine/normal. I don't see any bugs, slight dry skin or feather particles noted as a very light "dandruff".doesn't seem to be itching or bothered really at all by it.

1) What type of bird CHICKEN, age 3-4wks and weight seems appropriate for growth and weight. Comparable to other chicks of same age.
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Acting normally, alert, active, curious. Maybe spending more time under the heat lamp than the others but only slightly?
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? First noticed thin baby feathers about 2 weeks ago only just on the top of the back. Adult feathers looked normal/no problems until this weekend when the began to appear broken?
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No. All other birds healthy, feathers thick, coming in great.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Nothing. These babies have gone strait from the store to my living room where they are set up in a little home until the weather warms up and they are big enough to transition outside. Other than in the store, they have not been anywhere but my living room and have not had contact with any other birds.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Eating chick starter and drinking water. Healthy appetite.
8) How does the poop look? Normal
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? None
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? Whatever is recommended. Home-treat would be great, if I have to make a trip to the vet I will.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use. They are in a big plastic tub, natural alphalpha bedding no additives. Heat lamp in one half, plenty of temperature options depending on location in the tub for their preference. This past week they have shown interest in roosting so I've put in a small log they are enjoying sitting on.

UPDATE I HAVE ADDED CHICK BOOST PROBIOTICS, VITAMINS AND MINERALS BLEND TO THEIR WATER, SOAKED THE CHICK IN ALL NATURAL POULTRY PROTECTOR FOR MITES, FLEAS, PESTS SAFE FOR CHICKS OVER 10 DAYS. FEED IS NOT MEDICATED BUT WILLING TO USE MEDICATED IF IT WOULD HELP.

Attachments

• 20180319_152119.jpg
    20180319_152119.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 67
  • 20180319_143457.jpg
    20180319_143457.jpg
    502 KB · Views: 46
  • 20180319_143621.jpg
    20180319_143621.jpg
    353 KB · Views: 45
What you see is normal. The "broken" feathers are actually pin feathers, and they will "blossom" into real feather sas they grow longer. They tend to push the down feathers out as they emerge, giving the chick an appearance of being bald in those places.

She's doing nicely. No worries. Just keep on doing what you've been doing. This is just an awkward stage they go through.

Thank you! I was really hoping that would be the answer but I've never had one get quite this "bald" before! Poor baby will be naked before her feathers come in

So glad you posted these photos. I have one baby chick doing the same thing and I was worried. I have never had one look like that. Out of 10 babies she is the only one that looks bald and scrappy.

Back
Top Bottom