Baby chick making weird hiccuping noises

FloralLaurel

Hatching
Mar 22, 2021
Central Missouri
My baby chick recently got attacked by a dog and there are no serious injuries except for some scratches but now she is making some weird hiccuping noises and opens her mouth to breathe when she is asleep. Is it related? She does drink sometimes and started eating a little. Please help I do not know what is going on? Here are two videos. one is her breathing and the other is her weird hiccup noise.

My baby chick recently got attacked by a dog and there are no serious injuries except for some scratches but now she is making some weird hiccuping noises and opens her mouth to breathe when she is asleep. Is it related? She does drink sometimes and started eating a little. Please help I do not know what is going on? Here are two videos. one is her breathing and the other is her weird hiccup noise.
UPDATED: my baby chick finally stopped making hiccuping noises but about 15 days later she is making the same sound again. The weather has been in the upper 80s. She is acting normal and eating and drinking fine. I was just wondering why she is doing this? I do also have a older hen making a similarly noise. What is going on?

It sounds like a respiratory infection such as Mycoplasma Gallisepticum or Infectious Coryza, maybe Infectious Bronchitis.

Infectious Coryza is thankfully caused by a bacteria, more specifically, the Avibacterium Paragallinarum. Since Infectious Coryza is caused by a bacteria, it can be treated by using antibiotics. Another interesting fact about Infectious Coryza is that if a bird is infected with this bacterial infection, they'll most likely get oozing thick yellow snot, pus filled sinuses or even one or both eyes and an awful fishy-like odor that comes from their nares, mouth or eyes. If there is no smell, then it's most likely not Infectious Coryza that you are dealing with. Once recovered, all birds that have had symptoms and those who were exposed, will be lifetime chronic carriers of this bacteria, shedding and spreading the bacteria from their feces, respiratory secretions and other bodily fluids. During times of stress, symptoms may resurface at any point.

Here are some links to helpful sources about Infectious Coryza:

Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG) or (also known as Chronic Respiratory Disease), is also caused by a bacteria, more specifically, the Mycoplasmosis (Mycobacterium) bacterium. MG is the MOST COMMON respiratory disease of poultry worldwide, affecting a wide range of poultry fowl and game birds also. This infection can affect the upper respiratory tract and the lower respiratory tract, causing a wide range of different symptoms. MG is most known for the bubbling/foaming or the watering of the eyes, clear-to-cloudy mucus, sneezing, tracheal rales, congestion of the chest, coughing and much, much more. Once recovered, all birds that have had symptoms and those who were exposed, will be lifetime chronic carriers of this bacteria, shedding and spreading the bacteria from their feces, respiratory secretions and other bodily fluids. During times of stress, symptoms may resurface at any point. It is highly recommended not to bring from MG infected flocks because this bacteria is blood-borne and is passed from the mother hen to the hatching chicks, making any that'll hatch, already infected.

Here are some links to helpful sources about MG:
Infectious Bronchitis Virus (IBV or IB) is a viral disease of chickens caused by a strain of Coronavirus. This infection is chronic depending on the strain and mostly affects the respiratory tract as well as the reproductive system. IB can cause some upper respiratory tract symptoms, though it mainly affects the lower respiratory tract and the reproductive system. As for the respiratory tract symptoms, IB can cause sneezing, coughing, nasal discharge, a hoarse sounding voice, gasping/gaping, tracheal rales and overall trouble breathing. As for the reproductive system, the IB virus attacks the ovaries causing hens to lay wrinkled, rough, discolored or even misshapen eggs. Some hens may never lay again from the damage that this virus can cause. Hens are most susceptible to Salpingitis (also known as Lash Egg) and Peritonitis. In some strains of IB, this disease can have birds recover without it being a chronic lifelong infection, but in others, some IB strains can be lifelong and chronic, making any birds that get stressed, show symptoms of disease again. Since this infection is caused by a virus, antibiotics will not help with this infection, though probiotics can help ease symptoms a little. Supportive care may be needed with severe cases.

Here are some helpful link sources about IBV:
Though the best way to know would be by getting testing done- by a necropsy or by a live sample that you can send out. I would highly recommend this route before treating, so you know what infection you're dealing with as they are all very similar to each other (symptom wise). Here's the best lab facilities that I recommend you to:

I hope that this can help you and if you have ANY questions, feel free to comment on your post or private message me :) . I hope your birds get well as soon as possible, good luck!

My chicks sneezed, coughed, and hiccup all the time, to me its normal...
Posters chicken sounds rattley and congested too. The chicken also looks like it doesn’t feel well, hence why I think it’s something bigger than “normal” if you know what I mean.

Back
Top Bottom