Baby Chick Not Moving Much

trumley

Hatching
Jul 25, 2016
Hey all, I have a baby chick, a little over a week old now, that we got a few days ago that is now not moving much and not hanging out with the other 4 chicks that we have in the brooder. She does walk over and drink water but not doing a lot of eating. She kind of just sits there. She is a little smaller than the others. We gave her a drop of polyvisol this afternoon. Any thoughts?

Hey all, I have a baby chick, a little over a week old now, that we got a few days ago that is now not moving much and not hanging out with the other 4 chicks that we have in the brooder. She does walk over and drink water but not doing a lot of eating. She kind of just sits there. She is a little smaller than the others. We gave her a drop of polyvisol this afternoon. Any thoughts?
Check her butt and see if she has a clog of poop there. That's called pasty butt and will kill her because she can't poop. If you see it, just get a warm , damp tissue, cotton ball and gently massage it off. If her butt is red or irritated put a tiny bit of Vaseline on it to sooth and keep more poop from sticking to it. She may be dehydrated. Check your humidity levels and heat levels to make sure they are correct. poly-vi-sol, is ok but there is a similar product made just for poultry. Buy the smallest bottle from Tractor Supply. It is called Bovidr Labs Poultry Nutri-drench. http://www.nutridrench.com give the chick one drop only by mouth. repeat as needed every 8-10 hours until perky. Put it in their water till the water looks like very weak tea, for the next 2 weeks. This will get them off to a strong start. Doesn't need to be digested, quick acting. measurable in the bloodstream in 15 minutes, 50% uptake in 30 minutes. I have never had a sick or dead chick when using it. Great stuff. Will jumpstart that little one's G.I. tract and restore its immune system.
Best,
Karen

Back
Top Bottom