Baby Chick Pictures!!!!! POST!

How can you tell?

Compare the coloring to chicks that you have had experience with, for example, I can tell if a chick is an ameracauna because I have 3, and that is what the coloring is, the better variety of chicks you get the more you tell what they are, I don't have much of the same breed of chickens

If they came from a feed store they most likely came from a hatchery. They call them Ameraucana's but they are actually EE's.

They are not all EE's if they say they are Ameraucauna's , you shouldn't confuse people like that. If they say they are Ameraucauna's then they are, with probably little misplaced EE's

They are not all EE's if they say they are Ameraucauna's , you shouldn't confuse people like that. If they say they are Ameraucauna's then they are, with probably little misplaced EE's
I have heard of no hatchery that sells a true Ameraucana....tho many use that name, and Araucana, to sell birds...... you have to get them from a breeder.

It's a very common misconception!

I got caught up in the whole Ameracana, Araucana, EE thing because when I was looking into buying some. I kept seeing birds that didn't even resemble each other. Some had ear tufts, some didn't. Some had tails, some didn't. Some had tight feathering, some didn't and the colors and patterns varied wildly so I decided to do some research.

What I found, and this may have already been discussed, is the Ameracaunas and Araucanas are both recognized breeds by the APA, have a standard and lay only blue eggs. If they lay any other colored egg but blue, then they are not Ameracaunas or Araucanas. They are the mutts (mixed breeds) of the chicken world and were given the distinction of EE (Easter Egger). The sad part is that the hatcheries and breeders mislead people into spending more money for a 'breed' that isn't recognized by the APA because they are actually a mix of many different breeds.

Last edited:
I got caught up in the whole Ameracana, Araucana, EE thing because when I was looking into buying some. I kept seeing birds that didn't even resemble each other. Some had ear tufts, some didn't. Some had tails, some didn't. Some had tight feathering, some didn't and the colors and patterns varied wildly so I decided to do some research.

What I found, and this may have already been discussed, is the Ameracaunas and Araucanas are both recognized breeds by the APA, have a standard and lay only blue eggs. If they lay any other colored egg but blue, then they are not Ameracaunas or Araucanas. They are the mutts (mixed breeds) of the chicken world and were given the distinction of EE (Easter Egger). The sad part is that the hatcheries and breeders mislead people into spending more money for a 'breed' that isn't recognized by the APA because they are actually a mix of many different breeds.
Yup, buyer beware.

The feed mill near me insists on labeling hatchery EE's as Ameraucana or Araucana......
....we argue about it, pretty good naturedly, I think we've finally reached a compromise to call them..... AmeriKinda's ......lol

Back
Top Bottom