Baby Chick Pictures!!!!! POST!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HorseCrazyy, Jun 30, 2012.

1. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Chicken Obsessed

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    EE is easier to type. EE mutts they may be, but some of those "Olive" eggs are mighty sweet-and yes that one egg is gray.[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    spice of life.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  2. Craftygirl

Craftygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2013
    Nebraska
    Beautiful! I can't wait for my babies to lay! :)

3. Nevaschickens

Nevaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2013
    Florida
    I love those Olive colored eggs! Can't wait for my three EE's to lay!

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I still call them EE's too :) can't wait for blue/green/olive eggs.

1 person likes this.
  5. PrairieChickens

PrairieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    I really wish hatcheries and stores would be more honest about their stock. A pet store wouldn't be able to get away with labeling mutts as purebreds, so why are hatcheries allowed to?

Don't get me wrong, I love love LOVE my Easter Eggers. They are probably my favorite "breed" of chicken. They're solid layers all year round, diverse in appearance and personality, and their colorful eggs make my eggs stand apart. I would buy "Easter Eggers". Most folks would. The name even sounds fun. Sellers don't have to resort to trickery to sell these beauties.

One thing I point out to folks who have a hard time accepting that the "Ameraucanas" they just bought are actually mutts is this: The two Ameraucana chicks I just purchased a few weeks ago cost me about $20 each. If you're picking up "Ameraucanas" at the local Orschelns and they're only $3.49 each, they're actually Easter Eggers. By all means, still get them, because they'll be some of the best chickens you'll ever own, but don't get them and expect purebreds.

Now I'm off to take photos of my new babies so that we can get this thread back on topic!

1 person likes this.
  6. PrairieChickens

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    I have two bantam cochin hens that went broody at the same time, and are now raising a clutch of chicks together. Today is the chick's first day outside, and in all of the excitement, Anna and O'Brien--the two mamas--momentarily forgot they were on the same side.
    [​IMG]
    No one was harmed, and Anna quickly realized her mistake. They immediately went back to being good mamas.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the chicks I hatched out in February (With a few MPC purchases mixed in), hanging out in their private clubhouse inside of the coop.
    [​IMG]

Getting a drink
    [​IMG]

Two of the "babies" from the November hatch. Cinco and Seis (Since renamed Bob and Grace) were also hatched by the broody hens Anna and O'Brien, but due to complications with the staggered hatch, they were raised together in my brooder instead. Now they are inseparable companions.
    [​IMG]

7. chiknhurder

chiknhurder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2014
    Cass County Missouri
    The 'mutt' comment wasn't meant to be derogatory and was just to illustrate a point for informational purposes.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  8. Nevaschickens

Nevaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2013
    Florida
    So precious!

9. Craftygirl

Craftygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2013
    Nebraska
    Thank you for posting these beautiful pictures! I'm inspired now to take my 4 chicks that are working on 3 weeks old outside to 'play' it's 70 degrees but the ground might be damp. Is it safe you think to do that? I currently have mine inside...

10. PrairieChickens

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    They'll be fine. If they start complaining that they're cold, just pick them up in your hands and warm them up a bit. It's only about 55 F here, and the ground is damp here as well, but the chicks are doing just fine with their broody mama to warm them up if they get cold.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by