Baby Chick Pictures!!!!! POST!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HorseCrazyy, Jun 30, 2012.

1. MommasHerd

MommasHerd Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2013
    So adorable. How did you introduce your hen to the chicks? We took in a hen last year and our hens were mean to her. I am scared of what they will do to young ones

2. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    :love What breed is she? I have a girl just like her and I don't know what she is. ETA: oh.... I think I already asked :/.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  3. brood mother

brood mother Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2014
    Brandon, Ms
    She looks like my hens and mine are isa brown hens. But I'm not positive, she just looks a lot like mine. Very pretty girls amd the babies are so cute.

4. PrairieChickens

PrairieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    If a hen isn't broody--or if she's broody and doesn't recognize the chicks as hers--she'll most likely attack them or peck them out of simple curiosity. To get a broody hen to accept new chicks, you just stick the chicks under her and then leave her for several hours to get used to them. If she's a good broody--and most broodies are--she'll decide those are her babies and take care of them.

To integrate chicks into a flock without broodies, we have an enclosure inside of the coop that allows the chicks and chickens to see each other. The chicks live in this for a few weeks before being allowed access to the main coop and run. Sometimes, I don't even have to do that much--with the last batch of chicks I integrated, they were able to mingle with the rest of the flock within a few days. It really just depends on everyone's mood and the temperament of the chickens you have.

5. chickogolden

chickogolden Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2013
    SE Ohio
    I was looking at different breeds and she looks like a new Hampshire red or a red production.

6. apgreen79

apgreen79 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2014
    Joelton, TN
    [​IMG]

This was the free chick. Any idea what it may be?

7. brood mother

brood mother Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2014
    Brandon, Ms
    Looks like my littler barred rock chick.

Also, I changed the pine shaving in my brooder today and the kiddos have gone crazy lol! Running around and scratching and pecking!

I also finally changed the build in my heat lamp to a 100watt halogen bulb. They seem to be more stimulated now. Not sure if that is good or bad. Is it because they can see stuff better than they could with the red bulb??

8. apgreen79

apgreen79 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2014
    Joelton, TN

To me?
    That's would be cool. I don't have any barred rocks.

9. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    [​IMG]
    chicks from feed store- RIR, buff orpington to the front, black dot on head is EE bantam, far crouching is Naked neck.

10. PrairieChickens

PrairieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    Most likely barred rock.

Is its toe just bent in that photo or is it malformed?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by