Baby Chick Pictures!!!!! POST!

Anyone have any ideas on breeds? I got them today from TSC, six assorted bantams. (Two not pictured since they are both buff silkies) These four are clean-legged. I'm especially interested in figuring out what the black one is, she's (or he) a total mystery to me. Someone asked earlier, she has no white dot on the back of her head. No crest either.

Thanks!!
The third could be a Golden Sebright, but I can't really tell with your pic. The head at least looks similar to mine, and the legs look to be the same color.

(old pic from when I picked him/her up from the feed store)

Hi everyone. New here. We got 6 baby chicks yesterday and I'm already in love!!! They are Golden Comets I believe. I was up every hour last night checking on them... I feel like a new mom again
wink.png

If they're golden comets, looks like you got three boys and three girls. You may already know this, but the recommended ratio is one rooster to every 10 hens or so, so you'll want to either get a lot more ladies or be prepared to rehome two of your boys. One rooster to three hens is an ok arrangement, especially if you can give the girls a break from him once in a while. Another option if you want to keep all six is to keep the boys in a separate coop and run.

Anyone know what feather footed chick breeds are sold at tractor supply ?
And also what do patridge cornish rock chicks look like ? Difference between male& female ?. (From tractor supply).
I though Cornish Rocks only come in white? Do remember Tractor Supply WILL get breeds mixed up. Sometimes they do not know anything about chickens. They will even put the wrong signs up for chicks. One time I went to get chicks and they had a bin marked "White Silkies" and I had already knew what the chicks were when I looked at them. They were d'Uccles. So be cautious when buying chicks.

Anyone know what feather footed chick breeds are sold at tractor supply ?
And also what do patridge cornish rock chicks look like ? Difference between male& female ?. (From tractor supply).

there are many ways to identify chicks. Some are more obvious than others. I've only had chicks for 5 weeks now but have learned so much. I was brave and bought out of assorted bins. Our store is small and I talked to the lady who takes care of the chickens. So I was confident they were marked right.

But I asked her what hatchery they order from. And I googled that hatchery. Things to Google are the types of combs. Always note the color of their feet. Some breeds have yellow while some are whitish or creamy colored, some are dark like black or greenish and gray.

You can Google any chicken and see images. A lot of those links will bring you right back here. But lots of images to become familiar with. You will find yourself in a whole new world.

I found Murray McMurray Hatchery site to have some great pics of the chicks. Have fun and good luck.

Does anyone else get heartbroken when they are told that they couldn't have anymore chickens?? My grandpa told me that I couldn't have anymore because I had reach the limit. I have 51 and I plan to get rid of the 8 roosters I have. But what is hard about getting rid of them is some I have hatched and 2 I found as chicks in the pouring rain with their mother nowhere to be found. So, you know. I'm thinking about just keeping three roosters. :(

Back
Top Bottom