Baby Chick Pictures!!!!! POST!

Your welcome @The Scrambler he kinda looks like my Production Red Rico

I'm so grateful to be able to share this photo! These 5 all hatched the same week . . . the black one came home from my child's elementary school and the other 4, we bought from a local Buff Orpington raiser. (We have no idea what breed the black one is trying to be . . . she has dark gray legs/feet and white speckles on her chest).

Everything that I expected would be a challenge with these guys has worked out to be just fine! We had the Orps at home first for a couple days before we were able to get Tiny home. When we first brought Tiny home and did slow introductions, Jimmy (the one in the center) was trying to be quite dominant toward Tiny. At that time, the 4 Orps were all the same size as one another and Tiny was . . . quite tiny, in comparison. Following the experience of folks here on BYC, I sat with them and each time Jimmy tried to peck at Tiny, I gently tapped Jimmy on the back between her shoulders the same way a mother chicken would do to correct unwanted behavior. I expected it to take days to get them to get along (if ever), but it only took 4 times of tapping Jimmy! Not one single problem with them since then! Everyone has been kind, gentle, and accepting of Tiny since! The only one that Jimmy gets bossy with is Pepper (the biggest one), but Jimmy is not violent, just mouthy and Pepper is basically oblivious to Jimmy's bossiness!

The next thing that happened is that Pepper & Salt grew big quite quickly. I started to worry that I might need to split them into groups of little babies and big babies to prevent any problems, but nope! We haven't had any trouble at all with their size differences! Within a week or so, Tiny suddenly began to grow quickly, so that was a plus.

Then, Spacey got sick . . . Spacey is the little one in the back next to the box . . . she had all the symptoms of coccidiosis. We got her the proper medication and put it into their community water source. When she began improving a couple days later, we were giving them scrambled eggs daily . . . guess who doesn't like scrambled eggs?! Even after giving them to them numerous times . . . yep! That would be Spacey--the one who really needed some protein at that time!

But, I am so happy to share with you all that because of fantastic support and solid advice here on BYC, Spacey is very healthy again and now, she & Jimmy are FINALLY getting their feathers! They are 7 weeks old now and we have a little chicken tractor that we put them in outdoors during the day. We spend time petting and interacting with them because we need them to be handleable. My 7 year old sings "Bok Opera" to them and they LOVE it! They are eating their chick starter, drinking their water, eating grit when they need it, dust bathing like crazy, catching lots of flies and a couple beetles here and there, everyone but Space loves scrambled eggs, all 5 of them went crazy over a cherry that I diced up for them to try the other day . . . they run full speed all over the place, they run and jump up onto things, they "fly" across the yard when they aren't confined in their little tractor run, they call to us and talk to us with the most precious little chirps all the time, they are fantastic about being ready to go into their brooder at night, they love to perch on our legs, shoulders, heads, etc. when we sit with them . . . . . . . . . .

I think it's safe to say that we are absolutely in love with our baby chickies and we are so excited to watch them grow and develop into adults! I am so extremely grateful for this forum! :D

Front: Tiny (black) & Salt (at the feeder)
Middle: Jimmy (center of group) & Pepper (big one to the right)
Back: Space

I will post in the "What Breed Is This" When I Can cause I have a few, but my Month Olds, (they turned a month old Tuesday, they Hatched Father's Day) Have All Of Their Feathers Already They Are So Cute!

They Were Born Fathers Day 2016. The Light One With The Black Spot(s) name is "Spot". The Gold One/Yellow Name Is "Escapee". The Black One Is " Onyx". I Dont Have A Name For The Brown One Yet.

Back
Top Bottom