Baby chick poo?

AmynChad

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 6, 2009
Menlo, GA
OK, so all of you who helped me through getting "Lucky" here: Thank You! Now....he has this stringy poop looking thing hanging out his rear? I gently dabbed at it with a moist cloth, but it was pretty stuck. Afraid to do too much for fear of hurting him. What is this nastiness and what should I do or not do about it?

it is likely that it is the yolk membrane. keep it moist and warm, and it should dry up and fall off on it's own. you definitely did good dabbing it, but DO NOT try to remove it. Nature will take care of it
smile.png

Take a Q-tip and some rubbing alcohol and rub it a little. It's like a babies umbilical cord. It should dry up and fall off in a few days, if not sooner. but just be careful with it because if it gets pulled for any reason, it's guts could get ripped out. not to scare you or anything...
big_smile.png

Yeah, I don't really want to rip his insides out. He's doing good this morning. I was thinking of picking up a few other chicks about the same age. Would it be a good Idea to keep him separated until his "thing" falls off? Would the other chicks try to peck at it? Maybe I coul set him up a little cage inside the brooder where he could still be next to the others. Is gotta be better than the "Eat More Chikin" Chick-Fil-A stuffed cow that he's cuddling up with now.

Back
Top Bottom