Baby chick poop is concerning

HatchingFun22

Chirping
May 16, 2022
Hi there! I have only ever raised chicks once before (last year) but this time I have 3 chicks I’ve hatched at home and 6 I bought from a local hatchery that supplies the chain stores in town. This afternoon I noticed one of the chicks I purchased had pasty butt, so I followed a video I found on YouTube about removal. I got most of it off and put Vaseline on her. In following the recommendations of the video, I gave my chicks a little scrambled egg. I see now that this may be an issue because they are a little less than a week old and my research has said they shouldn’t have anything but their feed at this age. I feel awful. Thankfully, the chicks seemed uninterested in the egg.

All the chicks are on medicated starter but I had my husband get some probiotics for their water as well. I have been keeping an eye on the pasty butt chick, and watched as she pooped this foamy yellow poop at bedtime. Is it possible it isn’t coccidiosis? It was fairly solid when it came out, but I am concerned.

Attachments

• ADDC5F4D-EC35-48C5-B077-ED5B7047A410.jpeg
    ADDC5F4D-EC35-48C5-B077-ED5B7047A410.jpeg
    387.5 KB · Views: 31
Hi there! I have only ever raised chicks once before (last year) but this time I have 3 chicks I’ve hatched at home and 6 I bought from a local hatchery that supplies the chain stores in town. This afternoon I noticed one of the chicks I purchased had pasty butt, so I followed a video I found on YouTube about removal. I got most of it off and put Vaseline on her. In following the recommendations of the video, I gave my chicks a little scrambled egg. I see now that this may be an issue because they are a little less than a week old and my research has said they shouldn’t have anything but their feed at this age. I feel awful. Thankfully, the chicks seemed uninterested in the egg.

All the chicks are on medicated starter but I had my husband get some probiotics for their water as well. I have been keeping an eye on the pasty butt chick, and watched as she pooped this foamy yellow poop at bedtime. Is it possible it isn’t coccidiosis? It was fairly solid when it came out, but I am concerned.
I second what my friend @Lady of McCamley said. (Hi, LofMc!)

And if I might add this - no point beating yourself up over feeding something “too early”, regardless of what your research says. Have you ever seen a broody hen with her chicks? As soon as they are a day or so old, they are running around behind her enjoying bugs, seeds, weeds, even chicken poop. She has no charts telling her what to feed at each day of their lives. For chicks that need a boost, scrambled eggs are one of the recommended things to try. So relax…..you’re fine and so are they! ;)

I second what my friend @Lady of McCamley said. (Hi, LofMc!)

And if I might add this - no point beating yourself up over feeding something “too early”, regardless of what your research says. Have you ever seen a broody hen with her chicks? As soon as they are a day or so old, they are running around behind her enjoying bugs, seeds, weeds, even chicken poop. She has no charts telling her what to feed at each day of their lives. For chicks that need a boost, scrambled eggs are one of the recommended things to try. So relax…..you’re fine and so are they! ;)
Thanks so much! The 9 chicks I have are still all doing well from what I can see.

Back
Top Bottom