Baby chick severe injured foot

Webba808

In the Brooder
Oct 9, 2020
Hi! Can someone help me?
This is a WILD chick. They live in my neighborhood. I feed them daily and noticed this one hurt its foot a couple of days ago. And tonight it was crying because it couldn't get up into the tree with its mom. And we had a big storm coming. So I grabbed it and brought it home.

He is not using this foot at all. And holding it up. I cleaned it as best I could with soap and water. I put neosporin on it. And bundled him up in a blankey in my bathroom. I don't have a heating lamp/pad (since I don't have my own chickens because I rent my apartment. I just love the neighborhood chickens dearly). I spent the night microwaving towels and laying it on top of the blankey.

What should I do? I can't keep the baby (as much as I want to). I was s also told that reintroducing the baby to its flock could be detrimental. I wasn't trying to interfere but that baby's cry was breaking my heart. I could hear him across the street.

Baby is drinking water. And ate a few crumbs of bread, oats and cheerios crushed up (which is what I bring them daily)

Anyway, here is a picture (this is when I first brought baby home. It's much cleaner now). Any advice would be great.

Attachments

• 20211216_182948.jpg
    20211216_182948.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20211216_182944.jpg
    20211216_182944.jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 1
Hi! Can someone help me?
This is a WILD chick. They live in my neighborhood. I feed them daily and noticed this one hurt its foot a couple of days ago. And tonight it was crying because it couldn't get up into the tree with its mom. And we had a big storm coming. So I grabbed it and brought it home.

He is not using this foot at all. And holding it up. I cleaned it as best I could with soap and water. I put neosporin on it. And bundled him up in a blankey in my bathroom. I don't have a heating lamp/pad (since I don't have my own chickens because I rent my apartment. I just love the neighborhood chickens dearly). I spent the night microwaving towels and laying it on top of the blankey.

What should I do? I can't keep the baby (as much as I want to). I was s also told that reintroducing the baby to its flock could be detrimental. I wasn't trying to interfere but that baby's cry was breaking my heart. I could hear him across the street.

Baby is drinking water. And ate a few crumbs of bread, oats and cheerios crushed up (which is what I bring them daily)

Anyway, here is a picture (this is when I first brought baby home. It's much cleaner now). Any advice would be great.
Poor chick looks like he broke his foot or has a rubber band on it. Take him to a vet. HE NEEDS A HEAT LAMP! You did good saving him not everyone would do that you can get a heatlamp at wilco or tractor supply. Yes keep putting neosporin on it and keep a close eye on him. He really shouldn't have bread oats and cheerios. Get him some chick food from wilco or tractor supply.Do you know if that chick lives in the wild or has a home if he has a home I would give him to the owners put on Neosporin and get blue coat spray

Poor chick looks like he broke his foot or has a rubber band on it. Take him to a vet. HE NEEDS A HEAT LAMP! You did good saving him not everyone would do that you can get a heatlamp at wilco or tractor supply. Yes keep putting neosporin on it and keep a close eye on him. He really shouldn't have bread oats and cheerios. Get him some chick food from wilco or tractor supply.Do you know if that chick lives in the wild or has a home if he has a home I would give him to the owners put on Neosporin and get blue coat spray
So it looks broken? He let's me touch it without seeming in too much pain.

This baby is wild. I have fed its mom since she was a chick running around our neighborhood.

I live in Hawaii. And this chick usually sleeps outside. I feel like he is warm enough in the blanket in my bathroom. I don't have a heat lamp/heating pad and don't have the funds to buy one for him.

I check for any restraints (strings, bands, etc) wrapped around its foot. Didn't find anything. I realize bread/oats/cheerios aren't ideal but for the interim, I figured it was better than nothing. I will try to get some chick food soon.

So it looks broken? He let's me touch it without seeming in too much pain.

This baby is wild. I have fed its mom since she was a chick running around our neighborhood.

I live in Hawaii. And this chick usually sleeps outside. I feel like he is warm enough in the blanket in my bathroom. I don't have a heat lamp/heating pad and don't have the funds to buy one for him.

I check for any restraints (strings, bands, etc) wrapped around its foot. Didn't find anything. I realize bread/oats/cheerios aren't ideal but for the interim, I figured it was better than nothing. I will try to get some chick food soon.
Oh! You live in Hawaii ! That's so cool that you've seen the mom since she was a chick! Is it like you have your own chickens to have those ones? It could be infection yes the food you are giving it is better than nothing!

Oh! You live in Hawaii ! That's so cool that you've seen the mom since she was a chick! Is it like you have your own chickens to have those ones? It could be infection yes the food you are giving it is better than nothing!
I don't have my own chickens. I just very much love the wild ones and always feed them and create bonds with them. I would LOVE my own chickens. But I rent and that's not an option at this time in my life. Sadly.

I hope that I can help this guy get back on his feet (pin intended.)

Back
Top Bottom