Baby chick still can't walk, day 3. Not spraddle leg. But what else? And what to do?

MisfitMarie

Songster
5 Years
Oct 20, 2014
Portland, OR

I have a 3-day-old Salmon Faverolle chick that still cannot walk, assisted hatch. It doesn't appear to be spraddle leg. The legs remain tucked under the body, as if the chick were merely laying down.

I have tied the feet together, as if to treat spraddle leg, with enough room for functionality of the legs... just in case. But the chick fails to rise up or straighten the legs at all. Instead, it thrashes about the brooder floor, flapping and squirming. There is slight movement in one of the legs, causing it to turn in circles. At times, it seems able to "slide" itself across the brooder floor.

It is vocal. I have it isolated about halfway from the heat lamp. I have been administering Polyvisol (vitamin) drops twice a day, as well as water. The chick seems uninterested in food, but I wonder if that is because it is in a constant laying position, with its head resting against the ground; although, it can arch its neck just fine to drink.

When belly-up in my hand, there is some movement in the legs.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. It's just been heavy on my mind today, and I am wondering if there are any other tricks or resources, because this does not appear to be spraddle leg. This appears to be a different issue.

I've been massaging the legs multiple times daily. I've named the little one Hobs, short for Hobble. I want to do everything I can to save him, he's feisty and a real fighter.

Last edited:
Sorry about your chick, but many times chicks who are assisted in hatching won't make it due to neurological damage, or something that prevented it from hatching without help. When I incubated eggs, I found this out the hard way, and it's tough to watch them struggle. If I were you, I would try a chick chair, but it may be too late if it's not eating or drinking. Good luck.

Sorry about your chick, but many times chicks who are assisted in hatching won't make it due to neurological damage, or something that prevented it from hatching without help. When I incubated eggs, I found this out the hard way, and it's tough to watch them struggle. If I were you, I would try a chick chair, but it may be too late if it's not eating or drinking. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. I am headed home here in about half an hour and will get some pictures. Luckily, the baby is drinking supplemented water and eating greek yogurt when offered. I know my chances might be slim, but I'm going to get that chick chair set up ASAP.

That looks good. Her toes may need chick shoes. Here is a good link about leg problems in chickens, and a good pic of a chick chair:
https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

LL

Last edited:
I've noticed that the legs are starting to dangle lower/straighter... I'm hoping this is a good sign? The joints look red and swollen, so maybe staying off of them will help? Is it okay that she's still moving her legs? Looks like she's cycling... Maybe it will help strengthen them?

Last edited:
Update: Chick is hungry and eating feed mixed with greek yogurt out of my hand. It is also learning to drink water from the dropper.

There is movement in the toes and legs that I haven't noticed before... hoping that it continues. Chick seems able to push itself up into a sitting position temporarily.

The left leg has been tied, since it is starting to stick out at the side (spraddle leg). Toes are slightly straighter but still a complete mess.

The chick "wiggles" and slides, but still seems feisty and interested in food and the other chicks... so we'll keep trying.

How is your chick doing? Curios because I just lost one that sounds similar , both it's leg tendons wouldn't stay in place, it's called perosis, and is not correctable if not caught real early .

I tried everything I could but sadly lost the little baby. =(

It started to improve, for about a day, and then drastically declined... despite water, vitamin supplements, and feed.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom