baby chick stuck to egg by umbilical cord

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by firstchick, Jan 2, 2014.

1. firstchick

firstchick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2014
    I haven't taken anything off yet because there is still a ball of the yolk that it hasn't absorbed yet and Im trying to wait for my husband should we take it off to get it upright or leave it on and on its side?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    did you pip it yourself? i think you should find a picture of a newly hatched chick while it is still wet. they do have a yolk sac that keeps them fed for a couple days after hatch. i dont know if that may be what your looking at? any pictures?

3. firstchick

Jan 2, 2014
    My husband helped it after awhile of it trying to get out but it doesn't look normal the other two we had hatch normal did not have this attached. The were not stuck to the shell at all. I don't know how to do pictures but its navel is swelled some and has something attached and in the shell that is still attached I can see a small yellow sac that has a little blood on it and is attached to the cord.

4. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    the yellow you see attached next to the shell is its waste . i still think it would be best to cut it off. check an earlier post of mine to see how. its been a long time

5. firstchick

Jan 2, 2014
    Ok thank you I didn't know that thanks so much to everyone for all the advice it is still alive and my husband is on his way home to help so we are hoping for the best!

6. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    [​IMG] i hope it works out and i havnt steered you wrong . let us know.

7. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    just wondering how baby is?

8. firstchick

Jan 2, 2014
    It is ok still not dry enough to cut hopefully when Iget home. It drank some water this morning. Its lively but still not on its feet.

9. firstchick

Jan 2, 2014
    Ok cord just fell off how can i get it on its feet one leg is not seeming to work right

10. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    it may have spraddle or splay leg. the sooner it is corrected the better chance it will have. you can go to the advanced search on here and get some great tips for fixing it. i have found that vet wrap works the best for me but different people have different success even with a bandaid

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by