baby chick stuck to egg by umbilical cord

firstchick

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 2, 2014
We have a new chick that my husband had to help from the shell about 11pm last night. Now our baby is still stuck to the shell by what we think is the umbilical cord. The chick moves and chirps but still is not loose from the shell and can't walk because half the shell is attached to it. It just lays on its side and kicks and moves trying to get free. And help on how long we should wait to do something or what we should do? It is still moving but thereIis some blood in the shell but it is not bleeding now. Any help please??

sterilize some scissors and find a dried up spot. as close as possible to the chick but if the only dry spot is far away thats ok too. i always keep corn starch on hand and at the ready for these things, just in case. you might want to roll up a washcloth and tape the ends together to make a little circle to put it in so it can get its feet and balance .

Thanks for the advice. I just can't stand to see the little thing die without trying to help.

If you are willing to try...this has happened with some of mine..

I will risk breaking as much shell as I can from what is stuck to the chick and then I get some very warm water and put the chick with the stuck shell into the water...it can take some 20 minutes or so for the shell to release...I gently ease the stuck shell and if necessary will use some cornstarch to stop any free flowing blood...the chick must be kept very warm but in my experience they have all survived to lead a normal life...

I wish you ( and your chick ) luck !

Thanks I am very new at this and have never had anything like this happen before! Thanks so much!

We all learn by what confronts us..

I tried this with chicks that hatched with shell attached and I had no idea if what I was doing would benefit them but I felt I had to do something...it may be a good idea to put a towel into the microwave to heat it up a little before you bring the chick out of warm water... it helps to keep them warm instantly...if you do this please make sure that the towel is not HOT before you wrap the chick up in it...

Keep us informed of the progress of the chick...!

What if they haven't absorbed their yolk yet should we leave it to finish or try to go ahead and cut the cord?

It will depend upon how the situation is...you can by all means leave it for another day...the yolk should be fully absorbed by the morning... if the chick is distressed now it would be advisable to go ahead and separate the shell... the chick needs to act normally as soon as possible..getting up and moving around will give it the best chance of survival.

Ok now it just sleeps and will kick around and move trying to get detached but it is breathing good and it is in an incubator by itself

Back
Top Bottom