Baby chick with a cross beak and sight problems.

Katazyna

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 7, 2013
So this little guy was dubbed Greg by the girls at the store we purchase our chicks. they said its blind and as you can see its beak is also twisted. not sue what causes such things to happen but, i decided to take it home and give greg a fighting chance but he does not seem to be eating or drinking very well. i try to help him find the food and water and he will just randomly try to peck at it without much success. i think he can see out of his one eye but its just his skull is messed up as well and the eye is small and does not looks straight as it should its sort of directed down and he has it closed most of the time the eye you can see if it is even there does not open at all i want to help this little guy but am not sure what else i can do for him and i know the easiest thing to do but would rather not have to....

is there any advice out there for succeeding in care of this chick ?

yes! I too have a cross beak. mine is almost 5 months old now. you will have to make some adjustments for her feeding. first feed her mash.you can make it yourself by adding water and vitamins to regular chick starter. its really easy and mash it up with your hands and feed her separately.second TRIM HER BEAK and keep it trimmed about once a month to every three weeks. trim as much as you can without getting into the quick or it will bleed! this will get worse as she ages believe or not but if you keep it trimmed it kind of keeps it in check. she should be able to scoop up the mash on her own . she will be able to lead a fairly normal happy life with your help. really stay on her feedings with the mash because cross beaks have a tendency to get very thin if you don't keep up. I try to keep up with mine but she's still thinner than I'd like. its going to be up to your care now to see to it she gets her nutrition . this is another reason I add the vitamins. to help with nutrition. I just love my cross beak. she is my special girl. she and yours are just born this way kind of special but she will still give you eggs and can lead a happy life with your help! if you have ANY questions please ask I'm happy to help! in any way I can! you can also VERY CAREFULLY and in very tiny increments trim the lower portion of the beak too. I just did mine but please do only very small amounts at a time her tongue is there and this has to be done with extreme caution as to not cause bleeding. most of the time I trim the upper only. but with regular trimmings I am able to keep control of my birds condition. don't be afraid to trim. I hope this helps and please ask any question you might have. my bird is living a happy life in spite of her problem and yours can too! with a little extra help from you :) :)

Back
Top Bottom