Baby chick with chewed off toes

Leslo5831

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2021
Omg I know horrible way to start a morning but I have a major emergency so here it goes. I have a baby chick barely a week old with it’s toes chews off on the left foot and the right foot has mostly just it’s nails missing along with a single tiny toes missing. First I found it on the floor of my room as I entered I thought it was dead because it wasn’t moving and it’s toes looked like something stepped on it. But as soon as picked it up it was still alive just freezing cold with bloody feet. So from what I saw and the damage of the feet the culprit was my pet parrot Oliver/ female she ate most of the left foot and was only starting to eat the right foot when I came into the room after I took a shower. First off I had no idea how the chicks got out but my bird is smart and and evil little sh*t she threw a box of tampons on a box covered with a clothed( the chick residence) which made a huge opening from where all the baby chicks got out and my Oliver targeted the smallest. The damage is bad and for sure this baby will be disabled but I have some idea of what to do and how to treat but I need advice since it’s my first time experiencing such a horrific incident between my animals

Background both my chicks and parrots are my pets so it was natural for me to have a parrot ear chickens but not a baby chick this was and is a freak accident and I suspect that my bird did it on purpose out of jealousy of baby chicks that get lots of attention

Attachments

• 574F341A-C739-4A32-9AD7-AA88AAE5F783.jpeg
    574F341A-C739-4A32-9AD7-AA88AAE5F783.jpeg
    229.9 KB · Views: 36
  • C3DB7C08-EEEB-49F2-ADAF-C515F2F3825F.jpeg
    C3DB7C08-EEEB-49F2-ADAF-C515F2F3825F.jpeg
    403.4 KB · Views: 25
I'm so sorry! That's awful!

I unfortunately don't have much advice, but if you decide to let it live (I would personally not cull for now) it will probably need a lot of extra care. I do not believe that the chick's feet will ever fully grow back to normal, but I could be wrong as chickens heal from amazing things.

:hugs:hugs
Hugs for both you and the chick.

Omg I know horrible way to start a morning but I have a major emergency so here it goes. I have a baby chick barely a week old with it’s toes chews off on the left foot and the right foot has mostly just it’s nails missing along with a single tiny toes missing. First I found it on the floor of my room as I entered I thought it was dead because it wasn’t moving and it’s toes looked like something stepped on it. But as soon as picked it up it was still alive just freezing cold with bloody feet. So from what I saw and the damage of the feet the culprit was my pet parrot Oliver/ female she ate most of the left foot and was only starting to eat the right foot when I came into the room after I took a shower. First off I had no idea how the chicks got out but my bird is smart and and evil little sh*t she threw a box of tampons on a box covered with a clothed( the chick residence) which made a huge opening from where all the baby chicks got out and my Oliver targeted the smallest. The damage is bad and for sure this baby will be disabled but I have some idea of what to do and how to treat but I need advice since it’s my first time experiencing such a horrific incident between my animals

Background both my chicks and parrots are my pets so it was natural for me to have a parrot ear chickens but not a baby chick this was and is a freak accident and I suspect that my bird did it on purpose out of jealousy of baby chicks that get lots of attention
Can the chick fold it's legs up under itself or are they stuck in the backward position?

Oh yes for sure she’s smart and has found tricky ways to get out of the cage but I’m just worried that it will happen again while I’m gone because I do keep everyone separate it was just a incident where the parrot found a way to get near enough to hurt a chick badly
It definitely will happen again if the chicks aren't in a secure brooder. I know parrots are smart. If it were me the chicks would be in a room or an area where the parrot has no access to the chicks. Padlock the parrot's cage when you leave the room. It could be worse the next time. :(

If it's not bleeding much, could you just put little bandaids on his feet like people do with the deformities?

I've been watching this thread. Poor thing.
I just changed the wraps earlier and there’s minimal bleeding mainly just crusty dried blood but it’s legs were warm and I’m choosing to keep a loose wrap because it allows air flow. But to be honest if it wasn’t for the leg wraps I think the baby chick would have just tried to walk it off like a champ because it has not stopped trying to get up and it’s been eating and drinking water normally as if it doesn’t even realize it has a major wound

I’m so sorry about this little chick. If she were mine, I’d offer raw egg yolk at this point. Lots of nutrition and calories and easy to eat.
I’m so sorry about this little chick. If she were mine, I’d offer raw egg yolk at this point. Lots of nutrition and calories and easy to eat.
Already offered but it ended up dying last night in its sleep thankfully

Here some extra photos
Updated 2 guys I need help my chick is progressing to not eating it started yesterday and if been having to force feed but it keep losing weight rapidly as if it’s not getting any food. I’ve been keeping it warm and in a dark secure place but it will only drink and even drinking is a slow process I’m scared it will choke while drinking water because I’m practically forcing it to drink it’s super lethargic and I’ve had chickens die like this because of how lethargic they get that I can’t do anything I’m prepared for the worst but I’m still forcing it to drinking water and I use a thin syringe to fill the crop but I’m still not sure if what I’m doing will help. Any suggestions as to what I can do to help it ?

Back
Top Bottom