Baby chick with deformed feet? Update

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JanieMarie, Sep 26, 2008.

1. JanieMarie

JanieMarie Songster

Aug 26, 2008
    Georgetown, Minnesota
    I've been putting off this post. She was so content in her cup overnight. But extremely weak this morning. Gave her the vitamins yesterday. She never was interested in the yolk & I had to force her to drink. Yesterday morn seemed so promising and today was just the opposite. She wasn't hardly able to right herself when she tipped over and at the end basically laid on her side unless I put her in her cup. She just peep peep peeped very loud and it sounded distressed no matter what I did. So I did have to cull her as I was afraid she was suffering and I didn't want that. [​IMG] I don't understand the sudden turn for the worse. Ouch.

2. Fowl-Language

Fowl-Language Songster

Mar 10, 2008
    Longview, WA
    Oh no, I'm so sorry:aww
    Sending warm feathery hugs your way...farm chic too

3. JanieMarie

JanieMarie Songster

Aug 26, 2008
    Georgetown, Minnesota
    Thanks. Been playin with the chicks. They been preenin and peckin and scratchin and stretchin and doing all things chicklish! So fun to watch! So there's the positive. And I know how you all love pics so here they are: [​IMG][​IMG]

4. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Songster

Apr 24, 2008
    Oh God I really thought she was going to make it. That is the sadest story Ive ever heard. What a fighter. Bless you for trying so hard to save her.

5. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I am so sorry. I really thought she was going to make it too. You did everything right, it just wasn't meant to be. [​IMG]

6. Farm Chic

Farm Chic In the Brooder

Aug 21, 2008
    Davisburg, MI
    I'm so sorry to hear that Janie Marie [​IMG] I thought for sure she would make it! But I know exactly what it feels like when one minute it seems like your making great progress and then the next..... Well, I like you have other babies to take care of and I enjoy watching them. They are the funniest and cutest all at the same time [​IMG]

7. spook

spook Songster

Apr 21, 2008
    North Central Florida
    Sorry to hear of your difficult job. My heavens.
    Honestly, when babies of all kinds have genetic problems at birth, some types have bowel /digestive tract blockages. In humans, doctors can see signs of health issues, in nature, she has a way of "culling" on her own.
    You did the right thing and atleast you tried, hang in there.

8. Possumpoint

Possumpoint Songster

Oct 1, 2008
    I am truly sorry for your loss sweetie. You both gave it your all.

Sending (((Hugs))) your way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: