Baby chick with injured eye

illusenfaerie

Hatching
May 22, 2021
Hi there!

I am a kindergarten teacher and this year a local farm provided us with some chicks to hatch and raise for a few weeks. I don't really know a lot about chickens, but I have noticed and done some research on my own to try and help some of these little babies. These chicks hatched around May12th, via incubator, and most of them are going strong. There is one little one in paticular that has me a bit worried. It's eye looks like either one of the other chicks pecked it or it qaa scratched, but it is quite large and looks hazy. The chick can atill close it's eye, and I bought some anti-biotic ointment to put on it. I am wondering, is there something else I should be doing?

Also, this little one seemed to be blocked uo quite a bit tjat it's belly qas swollen and feeling hard. I put it's bottom in water for aboit 15-20 minutes, which reduced the swelling by almost 100%. But this little one seems to still be unable to pass without getting it all over it's self. Eveey day I am taking q-tips ans gently removing waste from below the vent. It is quite small compared to the other chicks, and it's breed is unknown. I have isolated this little one because the other chicks kept poking at the bad eye, and it currently gets medicated food along with probiotic/electrolites powder in the water.

Any help is greatly appreciated! I have invested quite a bit of money in this little one and I want to make sure I am doing everything I can to help solve the problems.

I believe I have attached pictures of the eye.

Attachments

• 20210520_193522.jpg
    20210520_193522.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 20210522_163639.jpg
    20210522_163639.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 5
I’m sorry nobody has answered you. How is the little one today? His eyes looks very bad. Have you tried flushing it with saline? What antibiotic did you buy for him? I’m not a professional and I don’t know who to tag for this but I’m hoping by responding someone will find your post. You’re doing everything right with the food and electrolytes/probiotics in the water.
I found for a lot of my chicks I had to clean below their vents almost every day for at least a week or so, then they stopped getting waste stuck on themselves. I’m sorry about your little chick! Hopefully he will get better.

Thanks for getting back to me. It hasn't changed, which I take is a good thing? It's poos are a bit on the runny side, which is I am guessing why I have to keep cleaning the bottom. I wouldn't know where to get saline or how to do a saline flush

Thanks for getting back to me. It hasn't changed, which I take is a good thing? It's poos are a bit on the runny side, which is I am guessing why I have to keep cleaning the bottom. I wouldn't know where to get saline or how to do a saline flush
Well, it’s good that it hasn’t gotten worse. You can get saline for eyes at a drug store. To flush the eye you just hold the chicken (best if someone else holds him/her so you can pour the saline) on the table sideways with the infected eye up and pour a few drops in the eye.
Do you know what you bought for the chicks eye yesterday?
Do you have a picture of the chicks poop and vent?

Well, it’s good that it hasn’t gotten worse. You can get saline for eyes at a drug store. To flush the eye you just hold the chicken (best if someone else holds him/her so you can pour the saline) on the table sideways with the infected eye up and pour a few drops in the eye.
Do you know what you bought for the chicks eye yesterday?
Do you have a picture of the chicks poop and vent?
I will have to pick some up on my way home. Tractor Supply sent me home with an ointment with terramycin opthalmic in it. I will take a picture of it's bottom when I get home tonight. I appreciate all your help!

I will have to pick some up on my way home. Tractor Supply sent me home with an ointment with terramycin opthalmic in it. I will take a picture of it's bottom when I get home tonight. I appreciate all your help!
Of course! I don’t know everything but I can help with the knowledge I do have. You can also use vetericyn I think one of those products helps with eye infections. Could you take another picture of the chicks eye? Also is it oozing or does it have pus coming out of it?
The stuff you got from tractor supply sounds good, did it say it was for eyes and for chickens?

Last edited:
It looks like both eyes are swollen. It could be from pecking especially if the chick has appeared weak to the other chicks. Terramycin or oxytetracycline ointment is very good to put into the eye twice daily after cleaning off any drainage, crusts, or pus. It probably needs to be hand fed now since it cannot see food and water. You can mix chick crumbles with a lot of water and feed that to her. She might peck at it if you dip her beak into it. Put a dab of vaseline or vegetable oil on a QTip and lubricate the vent opening. Since the chick is already weak, this may not end well. Poultry Cell or NutriDrench are good for a vitamin/electrolyte boost, and dosage is 2 drops for a chick. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom