baby chick with injured leg

babychickens321

Songster
Oct 17, 2021
London England
my neighbours baby chick has injured leg/joint he cant put weight on his leg keeps curling his toes and sticking his foot to his tummy. he hatched with a small cut on his hocks and she put iodine on it. the injury is gone and she said it scaled over or something but the scaled thing fell off yesterday. she put a plaster on his hocks and because of the plaster his legs came down a bit today and his toes unfurled but his leg keeps like spasming and flicking upwards whenever the plaster is on. He was the only one to hatch out of all the eggs (otherswerent fertile) and she has him in the incubator and hes 6 days old. he really cant walk hes always wobbling and falling to one side and flaps a lot when walking. hes been alone all these days, and i told her to get more chicks because hes lonely and in the meantime to keep him with a small teddy bear. i was thinking that keeping him in the incubator wasnt going to be good for him as its basically enclosed except for a hole on top and it might be too hot for him (35 degrees). the incubator doesnt have holes for eggs its just flat and has a heater blowing on one side.

5F78358B-9EA2-4AA1-A736-102012AE85A2.jpeg

2CD7561F-18D7-457E-A4A7-081B30EC4609.jpeg

this is the injured chicks leg. i would be really grateful if anyone could help !!

oh my gosh thank you so so much !! my neighbour was so worried about this chick she was crying so much because she thought the chick was going to stay like this.
i looked at some pics of other chickens, but this chicken doesnt have its leg twisted right round behind it.
3FC8A4D2-BE1E-4B10-AF3F-618AE3CA3AB8.jpeg

The worst part of a bad hatch isn't so much the disappointment of only a few hatching but more so that the chicks that do hatch are more likely to have issues! Spraddle leg is a common one and can usually be fixed...would it be spraddle leg?

The worst part of a bad hatch isn't so much the disappointment of only a few hatching but more so that the chicks that do hatch are more likely to have issues! Spraddle leg is a common one and can usually be fixed...would it be spraddle leg?
ah I suggested that to her but upon visiting the chick his legs didn't stick out to the sides at all ? I cant see if I mentioned how he walks, but he mainly rests on his hocks, then for a split second puts weight on his bad leg then sort of hops in front

my neighbours baby chick has injured leg/joint he cant put weight on his leg keeps curling his toes and sticking his foot to his tummy. he hatched with a small cut on his hocks and she put iodine on it. the injury is gone and she said it scaled over or something but the scaled thing fell off yesterday. she put a plaster on his hocks and because of the plaster his legs came down a bit today and his toes unfurled but his leg keeps like spasming and flicking upwards whenever the plaster is on. He was the only one to hatch out of all the eggs (otherswerent fertile) and she has him in the incubator and hes 6 days old. he really cant walk hes always wobbling and falling to one side and flaps a lot when walking. hes been alone all these days, and i told her to get more chicks because hes lonely and in the meantime to keep him with a small teddy bear. i was thinking that keeping him in the incubator wasnt going to be good for him as its basically enclosed except for a hole on top and it might be too hot for him (35 degrees). the incubator doesnt have holes for eggs its just flat and has a heater blowing on one side.
I tagged some members who may be able to help you.

Back
Top Bottom