Baby chick with leg injury

am7039

Songster
May 26, 2021
This little one hatched today while I was at work. I noticed she has a significant leg injury. Is there anything I can do for her?

Attachments

• 20220520_142850.jpg
    20220520_142850.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220520_142839.jpg
    20220520_142839.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 1
I tried splitting it but I'm having a hard time with her leg being so tiny and the leg is really stiff.

Do you thick the injury is from hatching or it happened later? Can you start some vitamins, such as Poultry Cell or PolyVisol baby vitamins without iron 2 drops daily for some extra riboflavin. Don’t use Poultry NutriDrench since it does not have riboflavin. Human B complex tablets 1/4 tablet daily can also be used if you crush and dissolve it into a 1/2 tsp water and give it drops with a dropper.

With the hock being sore and irritated, it might be a slipped tendon. Is the chick able to stand or walk at all? Is the leg turned outward? A picture of it standing while holding it on a table or the floor could be helpful, so that we see how it holds the legs.

Here is how she is on it.

Attachments

• 16530739626198211057544829916947.jpg
    16530739626198211057544829916947.jpg
    443.7 KB · Views: 1
Be sure to get the vitamins that have riboflavin (B2,) since those can be helpful, with newly hatched chicks. The foot looks a bit frozen in place. Are they curled under or are they bending? Leg problems are very hard to diagnose and even harder to treat. Can the chick get around to get any food or water?

The toes are curled but she can move them. I tried to treat it as a slipped tendon but she didn't like me touching that leg. She cried.😔

Chicks may not like being messed with, and it may hurt to move her leg. Is she getting around? You can make her a shoe for her curled under toes to wear for a few days, and that may help. The riboflavin also works well. Tape the toes in a normal fashion (not easy with a chick,) and then put another piece of tape on top. Here is the link to see what that looks like:
https://www.mypetchicken.com/backya...-toes-are-all-curled-up-whats-wrong-H293.aspx

Chicks may not like being messed with, and it may hurt to move her leg. Is she getting around? You can make her a shoe for her curled under toes to wear for a few days, and that may help. The riboflavin also works well. Tape the toes in a normal fashion (not easy with a chick,) and then put another piece of tape on top. Here is the link to see what that looks like:
https://www.mypetchicken.com/backya...-toes-are-all-curled-up-whats-wrong-H293.aspx
Thank you so much for all your help!

She isn't really getting around much at all I blocked off an area for her in the broader pen and put food and water close to her. I'm going to give the boot a try

Back
Top Bottom