Baby chick with one swollen eye

Aleanos

Chirping
Oct 30, 2020
Arizona
I've used saline drops 2 times a day for 2 days in her eye. The swelling seemingly went down, but has not gone down since. I went to tractor supply and bought some ophthalmic gel because I had read on this site that it'd do her some good. She doesn't seem to like it, she keeps shaking her head and trying to scratch her eye. However, today was the first day of applying it to her eye. Shes such a sweetie, eats and drinks just fine. Any ideas as to what it could be?
received_405049614004612.jpeg
received_783967555497961.jpeg

Look into her eye for any debris or a feather sticking into her eye. She may have been pecked in the eye by another chick. Be gentle opening her eye, and continue using the drops or gel. How strong is the saline solution?

Look into her eye for any debris or a feather sticking into her eye. She may have been pecked in the eye by another chick. Be gentle opening her eye, and continue using the drops or gel. How strong is the saline solution?
I'm not sure how strong it is, but her eye was like that when I picked my chicks up from the P.O. I've looked into her eye, nothing seems to be in it.

It sounds like she was pecked in the eye. Did they come from a hatchery? Hopefully that swelling will go down over some time. Watch for any pecking.

It sounds like she was pecked in the eye. Did they come from a hatchery? Hopefully that swelling will go down over some time. Watch for any pecking.
Yes, she came from a hatchery. The others were very rough with her when I first got them, now they aren't aggressive. I did separate them for a day or two, just to calm them down. How long should I continue to use the saline or the drops?

How’s blind chick doing? I’m in the same boat and wondering how she’ll do when it’s time to join the flock?
She’s doing well with the flock, they’re a bunch of sweeties when it comes to her. Sadly, she is completely blind in that eye, I wish I had started with the ibuprofen sooner. She has some problems with her depth perception but she works through it. If the other chicks are bullying your chick I would separate them and put her with one of the nicer chicks. I made the mistake of keeping them together for a while, when they’re babies they’re not as accepting. Anyways, she’s doing well, very healthy but a little smaller than the others. She has no remorse lol she will peck back if they peck her. Hopefully your experience is 10x better :)

She’s one of the bigger chicks, her eye is kinda pale. I’m pretty sure she’s blind in it but she’s doing great and has 11 other similar looking buds so hopefully she won’t be picked on. I’m worried about free ranging her though. Maybe I’ll give her to someone who doesn’t free range, or maybe she’s not a she and I’ll eat him in a few months lol

She’s one of the bigger chicks, her eye is kinda pale. I’m pretty sure she’s blind in it but she’s doing great and has 11 other similar looking buds so hopefully she won’t be picked on. I’m worried about free ranging her though. Maybe I’ll give her to someone who doesn’t free range, or maybe she’s not a she and I’ll eat him in a few months lol
I wouldn’t worry about her free ranging, she’ll most likely be alert and too scared to do anything too risky. Mine is very much like this. But to each their own :D

Back
Top Bottom