Baby Chick Zoomies?

thecatumbrella

Furiously Foraging
Premium Feather Member
Mar 31, 2023
New Hampshire
Good morning!

Does anyone else have chicks that get the zoomies? Ours are 3 days old, and from day 1 they get these big bursts with loud cheeping and parkour off the sides of their tote. They're eating, drinking, and sleeping for long periods under the heat plate... so all seems well otherwise. They really like to launch at the anti-roost cap on the heating plate, then scream in protest when they inevitably slide off.

It's 4 chicks in a 17x26 tote. Maybe they're ready for a little more space? It's our first time raising chicks, and I didn't anticipate them being so active from the get-go. But it's a lot of screaming, especially in the evening before they crash for 10 hours.

Thanks for your help!

Can I see a picture of their container? They're probably just up to their normal chicky buisness!
IMG_3769.jpeg

I don't dare remove the lid when they're sleeping, but here it is. About half heating plate, half food/water. I didn't want to overwhelm them with space at first, but I'm starting to question if they're ready for a little more leg room now that food/water/heat are second nature.

View attachment 3512304
I don't dare remove the lid when they're sleeping, but here it is. About half heating plate, half food/water. I didn't want to overwhelm them with space at first, but I'm starting to question if they're ready for a little more leg room now that food/water/heat are second nature.
Pretty soon they'll be needing something a little bigger, but I think that they're okay for now. I kinda think that that's what chicks do, they just like to run around and play with each other.

It may just be their temperament if they are doing it often, but I think all chicks do it as a sort of practice of an instinctual behavior, kind of like the way kittens play.

What breed are they?
Two Golden Comets, and 2 Black Australorps. One of the comets is determined to roost on that cone, and the australorps follow along. Maybe they're just crazy? They seem super healthy otherwise.

Pretty soon they'll be needing something a little bigger, but I think that they're okay for now. I kinda think that that's what chicks do, they just like to run around and play with each other.
You're probably right. Almost every article is very fatalistic about the chirping, but I don't think sick chicks would have the energy to jump in the air repeatedly!

Comets are known to be more skittish, might be a factor. They'll chill down some as they get older. Some of it might be that they are starting to establish the pecking order, too.
That's what I was anticipating, but maybe I didn't get comets... these chicks have literally no fear. They rush me whenever I need to reach in and clean, and seem to want to interact (they love when I help crush their crumble, or "peck" at the watering nipple with them). I have no idea what I'm doing, so thank you for giving some reassurance.

Wow, yeah that doesn't sound like skittish behavior. When they run around, do they run at each other, look each other in the eye and puff up their necks a bit? Cockerels will do that more often, you may have a couple of those making more of a ruckus.

That is what we are here for. Just come on and ask whenever you are confused. You can also peruse the article section, so many great ones on there. Just click on "articles" on the top bar.

Back
Top Bottom