Baby Chick Zoomies?

Wow, yeah that doesn't sound like skittish behavior. When they run around, do they run at each other, look each other in the eye and puff up their necks a bit? Cockerels will do that more often, you may have a couple of those making more of a ruckus.

That is what we are here for. Just come on and ask whenever you are confused. You can also peruse the article section, so many great ones on there. Just click on "articles" on the top bar.
I haven't observed any cockerel behavior, but that's something I'll keep an eye out for! I'm almost positive they have separation anxiety. If we sit at the brooder, they'll happily go about their routine. When we leave, they scream and jump until they eventually settled under the heat plate. I'm browsing some articles now that I understand what the problem is. Thank you again so much for your help! What a great community.

Are you familiar with imprinting? I feel like I am always talking about this on here, it must happen pretty frequently. You can look into that, it may describe the behavior you are seeing. It is worse when it is only one bird, so it should stop soon enough once they see each other as flock mates.

Are you familiar with imprinting? I feel like I am always talking about this on here, it must happen pretty frequently. You can look into that, it may describe the behavior you are seeing. It is worse when it is only one bird, so it should stop soon enough once they see each other as flock mates.
You're right, imprinting is exactly what it is. They must have been handled well at the hatchery, because they're extremely comfortable with human interaction. There's already been an improvement tonight (we also gave them a large brooder), so hopefully they're on their way to becoming a flock!

Yeah, I have read that certain bird are more susceptible to it, and no one seems to understand why. Hopefully they will be set right with time.

Back
Top Bottom