Baby Chick

Does anyone know and this might be a silly question, but is it okay to touch young baby chicks? Or should I leave them alone for a few days or wait a week before handling them? I have tried to do some research on the internet but it's like a 50/50 some say it's bad and some say it is good. I know with my australorp she was held from day one when I got her and now, she runs to me and follows me around. But Boo has always done this since she was little and these other little guys well they dont mind being held but they are so wiggle worms I am afraid I will drop them so i just put them back down. Anyways would love to hear some of the feed back on what you think. Oh and the store manager gave me another Gold Star baby chick today since the last one was sick and past (fluffy) so now i have Millie the newest member of the family. Will try to get a picture of her but it might have to wait a few days she is just getting to know her siblings and where everything is at right now. Hope you all are having a wonderful day!! 😁😁😁
The more you handle them, the more tame they will be. If you want lap sitters, do as @janiedoe suggested and let them climb all over you. I get an old bed sheet and lay it down on the living room floor. Lock away all danger too. Get the chicks out and sit in the middle of the sheet. They will all gravitate to your lap, do this daily until they go outside. This teaches them your lap is safe and and loving. By the time they go out to the coop, they will beg to sit on your lap.

Thank you 🙏 well despite all efforts and being up all night Fluffy went to heaven. My heart is very heavy at the moment…
I am so sorry. We recently lost a hen that was 8 months old. We tried so hard as you have, but nothing seemed to work. It was over New Years and our vet was out of town and her partner doesn't see chickens. We paid an online vet and then went to a vet hospital that supposedly saw chickens - but she still passed. We miss her a lot and our hearts are heavy as well. If I can do anything to help you, please PM me.

I am so sorry. We recently lost a hen that was 8 months old. We tried so hard as you have, but nothing seemed to work. It was over New Years and our vet was out of town and her partner doesn't see chickens. We paid an online vet and then went to a vet hospital that supposedly saw chickens - but she still passed. We miss her a lot and our hearts are heavy as well. If I can do anything to help you, please PM me.
Thank you and I am sorry for your loss as well.

The more you handle them, the more tame they will be. If you want lap sitters, do as @janiedoe suggested and let them climb all over you. I get an old bed sheet and lay it down on the living room floor. Lock away all danger too. Get the chicks out and sit in the middle of the sheet. They will all gravitate to your lap, do this daily until they go outside. This teaches them your lap is safe and and loving. By the time they go out to the coop, they will beg to sit on your lap.
Great to hear! When I hold them now and hum to them they get quiet and fall asleep. I will do the sheet thing for sure I think I might have a baby gate to block them in as well with me. Thank you for the great advice!!

would like you all to meet Millie. The store manager heard what happen to Fluffy and gave me another baby chick to put with the other two that I have already. I thought this was just way cool not to share and to show her off lol

Attachments

• IMG_1858.jpeg
    IMG_1858.jpeg
    284.3 KB · Views: 3
would like you all to meet Millie. The store manager heard what happen to Fluffy and gave me another baby chick to put with the other two that I have already. I thought this was just way cool not to share and to show her off lol
Awe, that was great of them to do that. I had a Millie too, but she turned into Merle lol. Let's hope yours can stay Millie. It's cute as a bugs ear!

Millie is a cutie, what a nice thing for the store manager to do!

Back
Top Bottom