Baby chicken advice

UncleDougsChickens

Songster
6 Years
Nov 18, 2017
I want my current hen(s) who are all mature and laying eggs to raise baby chickens for me. Some of my hens are broody but they only appear to be sitting on the eggs during the day, and roost at night. Obviously it would be a problem if the hen left the chickens at night. So, does anyone here have experience with introducing baby chickens to a hen during the day and the hen accepting them? My understanding was in order to introduce the babies successfully, you need to do it at night so the hen can't see that the babies came from me so she thinks they came from the eggs. The weather isn't too amazing here right now with snow on the ground but its getting warmer, about 40+ degrees right now. Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you!

If your hens aren't sitting through the night then they aren't truly broody. A true broody hen will only leave her clutch for a short time to eat, drink and poop. Your hens are what I call play broody, and probably won't accept chicks no matter how you tried it. What breeds are your hens?

If your hens aren't sitting through the night then they aren't truly broody. A true broody hen will only leave her clutch for a short time to eat, drink and poop. Your hens are what I call play broody, and probably won't accept chicks no matter how you tried it. What breeds are your hens?
I have 6 new Hampshire chickens all the same age

Back
Top Bottom