Baby chicken mystery

Kim E

In the Brooder
Sep 30, 2021
One of my month old chicks chased a bug underneath a fence gate into my backyard and as I turned to get her, my dog jumped across an electric fence wire - which he NEVER has done before - and snatched up my baby chicken. I screamed at him and he immediately dropped her. The chicken ran back under the gate and stood there gasping for air. I thought she was simply traumatized. Babied her, held her, petted her, rocked her to sleep etc. Kept separated, but in a wire cage sitting next to the coop where she could see the others. She was eating and drinking fine. That night I noticed she was not with the others who were perching so I brought her inside and held her again. She relaxed and slept. Couple days later she started sneezing and gasping. No vet available. Internet search suggested respiratory issue. Gave her cephalexin with her food and brought her inside overnight. In the morning, fine again, trying to get out of her box. Took her outside and she was pecking at bugs but then started sneezing/coughing again. Brought her inside. She was really struggling to breathe this time and although I found a vet, he recommended that I continue with the antibiotic and add electrolytes. He honestly didn’t sound hopeful. While I was holding her she stopped breathing, struggled and kicked, then died. It was horrible. She had NO visible injury after the dog dropped her. Eyes clear, poop normal, eating and drinking up until the last hour. At times sounded congested in her nose, but when I held her and calmed her, breathing was clear. I cannot stop feeling sick to my stomach and need to know what I missed. Obviously the dog should not have gotten her. It happened in less than two seconds and I was standing there the whole time. The dog did not deliberately injure the chicken but I feel like that incident was related to her death. None of the others are sick. Please give me ideas, but you don’t need to beat me up, trust me. I’ve been beating myself up for two days now. There was nothing visibly/externally wrong with this bird.

I'm very sorry. :hugs
No matter how careful we are, accidents happen, don't beat yourself up.
Birds don't handle stress well, young ones can get air sac damage fairly easily from trauma, there could have been an underlying issue that was not obvious or apparent (they hide things really well). Without a necropsy there is just no way to know. I've lost birds suddenly with no apparent illness and necropsy is the only way to know for sure.

:hugs You did the best you could.. I have no answers.. :hugs

WISHING YOU BEST ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome
Thank you
:hugs You did the best you could.. I have no answers.. :hugs

WISHING YOU BEST ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome
Shock will sometimes kill a bird, even if there are no physical injuries...
Shock will sometimes kill a bird, even if there are no physical injuries...
I can't stand it, she was just a baby. But you could be correct. Thanks for the reply.

I'm very sorry. :hugs
No matter how careful we are, accidents happen, don't beat yourself up.
Birds don't handle stress well, young ones can get air sac damage fairly easily from trauma, there could have been an underlying issue that was not obvious or apparent (they hide things really well). Without a necropsy there is just no way to know. I've lost birds suddenly with no apparent illness and necropsy is the only way to know for sure.
I spent hours trying to look for symptoms for a diagnoses (there is no chicken vet open on the weekend). Air sac problems or gapeworms were the nearest in symptoms, but neither said there was immediate concern of death. IDK. The vet didn't get to hear about the dog incident because I initially thought it was a different chicken having the trouble. Thank you for your thoughts on it.

Please be assured no one on byc will "beat you up", blame or judge you for an unforeseeable accident. Most of us have lost poultry due to tragic accidents too. Chicks/chickens are so tough in some ways, & so fragile in others. In addition to possibilities mentioned above, the wheezing and gasping could have also been due to internal injuries of its larynx, esophagus or trachea. Your little chick no doubt felt your loving care and concern. And even though its dying in your hands was very traumatic for you, your tender hands were the safest, most comforting place it could be.

Thank you

I can't stand it, she was just a baby. But you could be correct. Thanks for the reply.

I hear you LOUD and CLEAR. We cry when we lose any bird. They're all unique with their own little personalities and quirks, and we've lost chicks too :-(

Anyone that hasn't lost birds for any reason hasn't been keeping them very long..........

I hear you LOUD and CLEAR. We cry when we lose any bird. They're all unique with their own little personalities and quirks, and we've lost chicks too :-(

Anyone that hasn't lost birds for any reason hasn't been keeping them very long..........
You guys have been a tremendous help to me and I am glad I joined. Thanks for your support and kindness. It goes a long way.

Back
Top Bottom